Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Keys to Success!

Posted by guyfromwellington 
Keys to Success!
March 08, 2012 02:47AM
Hi

I am planning on starting to build a reprap in the next month.

I have done some research and believe I have a basic understanding of what is potentially good and what is bad.

I would like to hear from other like minded people about their success and more importantly their pitfalls.

Super keen to learn of anyone currently in the build process.

Any advice you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
guyfromwellington
Re: Keys to Success!
March 08, 2012 02:39PM
I have a completed Sells Mendel on which I make parts for Prusa's that I then sell, either as just parts or as full kits. I also have one of the Prusa's made up so that I can test the electronics and motors before I sell them.

The Prusa is nice and simple to build and runs well I use linear bearings on mine for extra smoothness, the Sells Mendel is very complex to make and I don't recommend it as a first build. I use Sanguinololu electronics with pololu driver chips.

Only pitfall with Pololu chips is to turn the current down before testing for the first time, they have a screw on them for this. I am in Nelson as you might guess from my user.

I also still use T5 belts as they are fine for what I do but I use Aluminium gears as I find printed ones not that great.

Hope that helps

Acronum

March 09, 2012 04:06AM
Hi,

There are at least three Prusa Mendels currently under construction by people involved with the Wellington Makers Meetup group. Come along to one of the regular Wednesday night sessions if you'd like to see how we're getting on and learn more:

[www.meetup.com]

We're more than happy to point you in the right direction in terms of where to source parts. A couple of us have working MakerBots so may even be able to help you out with plastic parts.

The #reprap channel on the Freenode IRC network is also a great place to ask questions.

Cheers,

Matt
Re: Keys to Success!
March 09, 2012 03:43PM
I'm in Wellington next weekend but not sure what the itinerary is as its family visiting with my wife sad smiley

Click here to login