Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Mendel Power supply for Sanguinololu

Posted by owbridmark 
Prusa Mendel Power supply for Sanguinololu
April 06, 2012 10:33PM
Hi Guys,

I have so far assembled together all of my hardware and basically need to install the electronics. I have a sanguinololu board and everything except for a power supply. Can some one please tell me what would be acceptable to use and what I need to know whe choosing one?

I have an old Vaccum Cleaner Charger here that says output 12v 300mA. Would this be ok? Sorry I am a retard when it comes to electronics.
Re: Prusa Mendel Power supply for Sanguinololu
April 07, 2012 02:00AM
yeah that one is not going to cut it. you need something that will cope with waaay more current draw than that.
April 07, 2012 02:18AM
You will need about 5A ( 5000mA) from memory, more if you plan to run a heated build platform, you can buy these on trademe for quite reasonable.
April 07, 2012 11:59PM
6amp at 12volt is minimum for a reprap without Heated build platform (5amps is just for the Hot end)
17amp at 12volt is minimum for a reprap with a 12v PCB Heated build platform (11amps for the HBP)

A standard PC power supply is what most of us use, or a 12volt only supply off of ebay
April 08, 2012 11:57PM
Just a bog standard ATX power supply is what I use instructions on how to do it Here

April 09, 2012 07:01PM
If I use a standard PC power supply is there any specifications I need to watch out for? I have heard it should be at least 300W?

Thanks for your help guys!
April 09, 2012 07:44PM
I use 350 to 400 with the kits I sell since you can pick them up from places like Here for under $50 new

April 10, 2012 03:54AM
Thanks NelsonRap,

I ended up getting one of these from the supplier you recommended:
[www.ascent.co.nz]

Is this one you have used before? Do you think this was an ok choice?
April 10, 2012 04:24PM
That will be fine it's an excellent choice

April 13, 2012 06:29AM
OK, So I have my power supply now and am wanting to wire it up over the weekend. My only problem is I don't know how.

I have read the wiki page:
[reprap.org]

And am still a little bit worried. The electronics scare me a little as I don't know what I am doing. I have had complete confidence in what I have been doing up until now. Does any one have/ know of a tutorial or video I can watch to help me wire my PSU to my Sanguinololu? I am more of a visual learner so I feel a video would be best.

Any help would be appreciated as I am almost there and getting excited but still very nervous!
Thanks.
April 13, 2012 06:34PM
You dont need to do all those mods, I strongly advise not opening up a power supply if you dont know what your doing.

All I did was get a converter plug from my local pc shop to plug into the large connector, cut off the end you dont need and use the wires from that to a screw terminal and from there to the Prusa

Then you just connect the power button line to ground and your done.

Something like

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2012 06:36PM by Dust.
April 13, 2012 11:05PM
Hi Dust,

This sounds like a simple way of connecting my power supply. I am a little confused however (mainly because I am a retard when it comes to electronics).

Allow me to attempt to clarify a few points:

I have a screw terminal (see attached). This screw terminal is currently connected to my Sanguinololu board. It has two holes. One positive the other negative. Which two wires do I put in this screw terminal once I cut the end off I don't need? And more importantly what colour goes in what hole! I don't want to fry my board having the polarity round the wrong way.

Also once I have cut the end off I don't need, what do i do with the other loose wires that have been cut?? Surely I need to cover them somehow.

Your help is most appreciated!
April 13, 2012 11:05PM
Here is the attached image.
Attachments:
open | download - 6f2wlk.jpg (2.2 KB)
April 14, 2012 12:32AM
My Sanguinololu look like this from the power connector

The red power cable in a perfect world should really be yellow (for 12 volts)

The red and black power cables lead back to a screw terminal and then to the Plug I mentioned. The plug also has the green and black shorted out. (the power on switch)

NB there are two yellow and two black going from the plug to the screw terminal, needed for the current required.
(there should probably be a third from one of the 4 pin connectors, but it has worked fine for well over a year)

The cable red and black cables to the SL are quite thick, as they have to handle 17A (if you have a heated build platform)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 12:34AM by Dust.
April 14, 2012 03:06AM
I don't know my son is the electronics whizz in this house and he converts the Power supplies for me and they are very tidy gets rid of all the unwanted wires and only leaves the ones needed, He learnt from that wiki article but as I said he is into electronics anyway and understands it all, its way beyond me though I do all the hardware stuff

April 14, 2012 03:29AM
I used to fix switch mode power supplies as part of my job. So now I refuse to open them unless I have to tongue sticking out smiley
April 14, 2012 04:00AM
Thanks Guys,

I have my power supply up and running now. I have my software installed and can move my motors!!! If anyone needs any help feel free to contact me as I would love to help with what I do know. I am obviously still a newbie with repraps and the electronics but can help with most other things. I have experience with commercial prototypers so I do know where most problems would occur.

Thanks for the help again everyone. Great to see a positive attitude.
May 05, 2015 06:49AM
I'm guessing this might come in handy for those that don't want to cut into PSU cables.

[au.rs-online.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login