Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Raw materials.

Posted by tcgehris 
Raw materials.
November 06, 2011 11:08PM
I just joined this forum.

I was wondering if there were any projects to actually produce the raw materials used by the rep rap.

Not sure what type of plastic is used or can be used for making items but is it possible to make items using recycled materials? For example, a machine that will grind up soda bottles or some other plastic source, and extrude them into a tube that can be used in the rep rap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2011 11:15PM by tcgehris.
Re: Raw materials.
November 07, 2011 02:33AM
Not yet there isn't but people are working on it.

RepRaps use either PLA or ABS plastic

November 07, 2011 03:49AM
Some good progress has been made:

First you need to chop it up

[reprap.org]

Then melt it down and extrude into filament

[reprap.org]

Not just useful to make raw material from scrap, but to also recycle failed prints.
November 07, 2011 11:48AM
Thanks! That is fantastic. Do either of you know of any links to projects I could check out? I'd be interested in reading about them.
November 07, 2011 02:45PM
Both of those links, if you scroll to the bottom it has a list of 'Related Projects'. Those will be the best ones.
November 08, 2011 12:23AM
Sorry, I didn't even realize there were links there. I just read over that post thinking "what is [reprap.org] doing there?". I'll check them out.

Thank you.
November 08, 2011 04:08AM
From what I understand the bigest problem with recycling plastic bottles is that hdpe (which is what most plastic bottles are made of) shrinks a lot so it's tricky to print without warpage.
nophead I think has experimented with it a bit, I recall reading about it somewhere on his blog: [www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login