Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1.5mm or 3mm - Noob Question

Posted by Lumaster 
1.5mm or 3mm - Noob Question
February 12, 2012 05:41PM
Hi All,

Anybody got any advice on wheter to go for a 3 or 1.5 mm extruder/hotend and fillament? Some of the differences are obvious, but would like more experienced users to give me their opinion.

Thanks,

LL
Re: 1.5mm or 3mm - Noob Question
February 12, 2012 06:42PM
I use 3mm exclusively as it is easier to handle less likely to break while transferring to my custom drums, but it requires more pressure.

I think it is more forgiving than 1.75 though and since I'm mostly making parts and not high detail models its fine for me.

100m of 3mm will go a lot further than 100m of 1.75 assuming you are going to get it from Vik since this is the New Zealand forum and therefore the price actually makes the 3mm more cost effective.

I would personally recommend a Jhead nozzle too as they are extremely good

February 16, 2012 05:42AM
This topic comes up a lot in the IRC channel

From those that use both, they say there is no noticeable difference, and it definitely not worth the extra money 1.75 filament requires.

If you planning extreme fine detail, ie a nozzle less that .25mm. Then it may be better due to the lower pressures involved, But it still going to take some pressure to force it threw that small a hole (makergear extruder required, wade apparently wont do it)

And yes there is the volume thing, 100m of 1.75 is more expensive than 100m of 3mm and you get approximately 1/3rd the volume of plastic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 05:46AM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login