Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which End Stops?

Posted by waitaki 
Which End Stops?
November 17, 2012 07:33PM
..not the usual two suspects but reed switches?
I have a bunch of glass encapsulated miniature reed switches from a few years ago and just wondered how effective they might be. First consideration for me would be resolution - something on a par with u-switches and sensors would be needed. I will probably run some tests using rare earth magnets when I get the electronics done. Has anyone used them?

AL
Re: Which End Stops?
November 17, 2012 10:03PM
I think some people get a bit carried away with limit switches like they determine print quality or something. All they need to do is give you the outer marker for your three axes right at the beginning of a print and after that they no longer influence anything. If you have a load of reed relays I would just use them if you can make them work, the adjustment doesn't need to be that accurate as long as it is consistent. I'm using plain old micro switches but these are just as good as opto-isolators or any other limit switch when they are set up.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
November 17, 2012 10:15PM
Yes, it's true they have no bearing on print quality but I assume Home position has to be accurate cos' everything starts from there. The reason I mentioned reed switches is because I have a bunch lying around and may save me a few dollars.
November 18, 2012 12:58AM
Just about anything will work fine. I agree with Wired1. It is easier if the Z stop is easy to adjust. This could be a simple mechanical verier type adjustment or a hall effect with a pot. Both work just as well. Simple mechanical is simple i'e' it just works.
November 18, 2012 06:45PM
Small and easy to connect works for me.. winking smiley

Protoneer.co.nz - Blog - [blog.Protoneer.co.nz]
Protoneer.co.nz - Shop - [shop.Protoneer.co.nz]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login