Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Auckland 3D Printing Meetup

Posted by mikep-nz 
June 19, 2013 12:05AM
Hi Folks,
I've started up a meetup group for Auckland 3D Printer enthusiasts.
You can find out more here

I am taking suggestions for our first meetup venue and timing so if you are in Auckland then please join up.

Regards,
Mike Paauwe

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[www.makershop.co.nz]
Makershop - Reprap parts, adding new stock almost daily.
Re: Auckland 3D Printing Meetup
June 23, 2013 02:21AM
Hi Mike,
I cannot guarantee I can make it, so I'm only a 'tentative'.
However, if I _DO_ manage to make it, you better be prepared to sell me stuff...

(Yes, I WILL be bringing along a 'shopping list'... LOL)
June 25, 2013 12:03AM
That should not be a problem. Although if you have time to place the order before hand it will save time and mean I can stay focused on my guests instead of in the office doing receipts.
Regards,
Mike Paauwe

[www.makershop.co.nz]
Makershop - Reprap parts, adding new stock almost daily.
June 25, 2013 01:11AM
Damned good point!!!
I'll go rustle myself up a list tonight (after I confirm how sad my bank balance looks... LOL)

Edit:
A 'preliminary list' I just threw together has already exceeded my self-designated 'monthly reprap allowance'...
As they say in the Toyota adverts... "Bugger"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 01:28AM by TheRevva.
20 years ago I had an engineering company which built computer-controlled machinery. As a result of the hand injury I have been out of business the 20 years but about to start business again using 3-D print technology. I see a good future and would be happy to participate in any group meetings.
June 30, 2013 04:00AM
Thanks HEAPS for putting on this meeting Mike...
(I was the idiot who turned up late as hell... LOL)
It was great to see an assortment of printers (including an I3 that's near identical to the one I am building).
You looked pretty busy with all your guests, so I didn't bother 'interrupting' you with an 'official' intro.
I'll touch base with you sometime in the near future (via the storefront) to order the few bits that my wallet will 'allow' me to this month.

TvB
June 30, 2013 06:02AM
Likewise to the previous meassage, thanks Mike, a good meetup and great to see people in Auckland in the reprap community. I think at least one person felt comfortable with proceding towards making their own machine. I certainly learnt something.
June 30, 2013 06:32AM
And to Revva look at [techpaladin.com] for 6.35mm acme. Yes i know its werid imperial.
June 30, 2013 05:54PM
Thanx a bunch for the link!!!
There's nothing at all wrong with 'weird imperial'... I grew up with the stuff!!! (Actually, that's a LIE! I refuse to 'grow up')
I'm confident it will come in VERY useful on my second (or perhaps third?) machine build. (Which I'm planning to be both an additive AND subtractive machine with selectable 'tool heads').
Since I'm still in the 'crawl' stage of the age-old crawl-walk-run philosophy, I'm building something rather _stock_ to begin with.

When I got home from the meetup, I was suitably motivated to do a first 'power up' of one of my new Mega2560 boards I purchased during the week from Mindkits. I pushed a copy of Teacup to it and 'cobbled together' (on breadboard) a crude stepper driver from some (discrete + logic) parts out of the 'junk bin' and a stepper I stripped from a 'retired' copier (a useless 7.5 degree one). I'm proud to announce that it rotated (albeit rather slowly) exactly as expected! hot smiley
While I'm not able to classify it as 'progress' towards the i3 completion date, it's definitely progress for the subsequent machine(s) as they'll probably need WAY more torque (and thus current) than a Nema17 can produce!
Speaking of firmware... I'd be quite interested to hear feedback as to which version others use (and WHY they chose it).

P.S.
I really wish I'd researched the Arduino Mega 2560 boards a few years ago. I had a HORRIBLE task trying to squeeze all the I/O of a couple of projects I built on to a PIC16F877 (limited to 35 or so I/O pins on a DIP 40).
July 01, 2013 06:22AM
Hey guys. Great to meet some other reprappers in Auckland!
Since Sunday I've got my Mendel90 printing! Thanks for all the advice, and thanks again Mike for hosting
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login