Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap discount smart controller installation-pins.h

Posted by clogs51 
Reprap discount smart controller installation-pins.h
February 10, 2015 01:43AM
I have been trying to add my Reprap discount smart controller,but have stumbled at the first hurdle.
The instructions i found online mention changing 1 line in the pins.h tab.
My version of Marlin does not have a "pins.h" tab,nor do the 2 later versions i have.
If that file is there,how do i get to it,so i can use my lcd screen?
I haven't installed either of the later Marlin versions,because when verifying my changes,i get a long list of errors.
And that's another thing,how do you find "line327" in configuration.h,for instance?
Counting the lines seems fraught with danger of mis-counting.
It seems odd that instrucions often specify a line number,yet the lines are not actually numbered.
It would be a lot easier if they were numbered,even if it was only every 10 lines
Re: Reprap discount smart controller installation-pins.h
February 10, 2015 07:33AM
For the current Marlin in Configuration.h
// #define ULTRA_LCD  //any lcd 
#define LCD_WIDTH 16
#define LCD_HEIGHT 2

//#define ULTIPANEL
#ifdef ULTIPANEL
 #define NEWPANEL  //enable this if you have a click-encoder panel
 #define SDSUPPORT
 #define ULTRA_LCD
 #define LCD_WIDTH 20
#define LCD_HEIGHT 4
#endif

Simply uncomment the "#define ULTIPANEL".
#define ULTIPANEL

Otherwise see:

RepRapDiscount Smart Controller
Marlin
Ultipanel beta: Ultimaker autonomous printing

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 10, 2015 06:34PM
The Arduino environment shows the files on tabs along the top of the screen. Unfortunately those tabs don't scroll sideways and the drop down menu on the right hand side doesn't scroll vertically (I'm using 0023 so can't comment on more recent versions). When you have a lot of files in a project like Marlin, it is difficult to access the files that are off screen. I use ctrl-alt-right arrow to step thru the files. You will be able to find pins.h that way, although it is also frustrating that the current file name is not displayed either (although many files in Marlin have the file name at the top of the code in the file). What would be really useful is a search function that searches for text in any of the open files. Maybe someone else has some insight on the Arduino environment who can offer some better tips for navigating thru Marlin files or tell of any improvements with later Arduino environment versions.

I have just edited Marlin to suit a reprapdiscount graphic LCD smart controller. The encoder rotation needed to be reversed and I really needed to kill the beep that happened every time the encoder button was pressed. It took a bit of searching but I found the right things to change eventually. Whenever I change things in Marlin, I put a comment with my initials on that line and a description of the change - just in case I need to search and change things back.

As for line number - take a look at the status line at the very bottom of the Arduino environment. There is a number there that is the line number of the current cursor position.

My Prusa Mendel i2 inspired Repstrap with welded steel frame: [youtu.be]
And my Smartrap derived Briefcase 3D printer: [youtu.be]
February 10, 2015 10:00PM
I use the free and powerful application Notepad++. You can open and search all the files at once. Use C formatting to improve readibility and navigation is all there. When ready it pushes the files to the Arduino IDE but you still have to compile and upload the changes manually. Link to setup here: Notepad++ setup for Arduino IDE
February 11, 2015 12:10AM
Thanks for that AgentX. I knew there would be a smarter way to edit Marlin code

My Prusa Mendel i2 inspired Repstrap with welded steel frame: [youtu.be]
And my Smartrap derived Briefcase 3D printer: [youtu.be]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login