Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Whats the best build to start off with?

Posted by meshed 
Whats the best build to start off with?
July 16, 2012 02:58PM
Hey everyone!

I'm curious to try out a build but I would like to get some advice from you lovely chaps first. Firstly, a few of my friends recommend starting off with a Pursa Medel, but I want to ask if anyone has tried building a Wallace or a Huxley what their impression where compared to building a Pursa Mendel. Is it easier? How much do the part's differ? Does one outperform the other?

I'd like to start with something that isnt too complex, so I can concentrate on learning how the electronics/mechanics work. And then work my way up to a full sized Reprap.

Cheers guys!
Re: Whats the best build to start off with?
July 16, 2012 04:13PM
A prusa is nice and simple and what most people are now building so there should be lots of parts around for them

July 17, 2012 03:17AM
Wallace is experimental, Do you want to experiment or just print? If the latter its not recommended.

I also say Prusa Mendel. Easy to build, lots of support, even from within NZ, and has a reasonable build size
July 17, 2012 09:52PM
Sweet! Thanks for the info guys.

I'm not too fussed about the printing, It's more of a project to understand how it works so if it blows up in my face, its totally fine.

At the moment, I'm leaning more towards a Huxley or a Prusa. Though, I think the Huxley would be better for me as I dont have much space to work with, and the part count is less. Would you know if the electronics from the Huxley are transplantable to a Prusa? I have a feeling that I might want to upgrade it when I have a bit more space.
July 17, 2012 09:54PM
I think you can run pretty much the same electronics on all types. I have an original Mendel running Gen6 and I'm about to convert it to Sanguino so that I can print from SD card. Sanguino works very well on Prusa too

July 18, 2012 03:22AM
Huxley uses 3 nema 14 steppers, so you cant use those. But the rest of the electronics is swappable.
July 18, 2012 03:25AM
Awesome! Huxley it is then haha smiling smiley

Thanks guys, I'm gonna be looking forward to building it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login