Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

christchurch meet and greet

Posted by Alizier21 
Re: christchurch meet and greet
September 03, 2012 08:34PM
Ok room booking is confirmed, it is in the kirkwood village at uni. The google maps image shows an empty field but there are now many prefab buildings built there since the quake.

The room is Kirkwood KC06
September 05, 2012 03:51AM
So is that the 10th? and can you confirm the time please

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2012 03:52AM by NelsonRap.

September 05, 2012 04:09AM
I'm terrible with names so I suggest name tags, as silly as they may look. Handy to help associate the username to the face spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I can take care of tags if needed.
September 05, 2012 07:42AM
Yup the 10th, doors open at 6:30pm.

Currently the plan is to give everyone about half an hour to set up and mingle, then those interested from the aerospace club will show up at about 7pm. Then if anyone wants to give a short talk there will be a projector and a white board if needed tongue sticking out smiley Otherwise, I'll give a brief intro.

If you'd like to do the intro, post here so I know if I need to prep anything. I'm sure people will mostly want to look at printers and chat to each other.

Also, if you are planning on bringing your printer (which would be great!) could you pose here as well? just to make sure when have enough tables (though I think we will be ok)

Sadly, I probably won't bring my mendelmax as I blew up my last pololu stepper driver for my extruder and probably won't have a replacement before then sad smiley

look forward to meeting you all next week smiling smiley
Andre
September 06, 2012 03:15AM
I could probably supply you a pololu board if you wanted, i have a couple extra for future builds . .

See you all next on monday . .
September 07, 2012 02:25AM
I'm bringing my Mendel.

See you there
September 08, 2012 04:04AM
Depending on how organised I am I'll bring my Prusa
September 09, 2012 01:22AM
Thanks Alizier smiling smiley I managed to source a stepstick and it seems to be working so I'll be bringing my max and its huge birdsnest of wiring tongue sticking out smiley

By my count we have probably 4 printers or more coming along so we will have plenty of space.

See you all tomorrow smiling smiley
September 09, 2012 10:18PM
Only 2 hours to go... be there or be somewhere else tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 12:53AM by Dust.
September 10, 2012 03:53AM
Sorry guys I couldn't make it over

September 10, 2012 10:34PM
Well I think that meetup went really well.

There will be photos at some stage.

It was good to meet all of you and see you varius repraps and hear your reprap stories.
September 11, 2012 03:12AM
Yeah, it was a very productive night!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Mikael
September 11, 2012 04:08PM
yeah I had fun!
we should defiantly do this again.
I'll be more organised next time and maybe actually get something printing before it's time to go...

I'd been messing with the arduino earlier that day and needed to re-upload the firmware.
I'd cut a trace on the arduino to stop it resetting when pronterface connects (real pain when you're printing from SD and want to quickly just adjust the flow rate).
cutting the trace however makes uploading sketches a bit trickier. you've got to either hit the reset button at just the right time, or short where the trace has been cut.

I wonder if maybe it might be worth doing a half or even a whole day at some point and advertise it a bit though uni for random interested people to come see.
September 17, 2012 04:52AM
Some first meeting pictures

[imageshack.us]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2012 10:48PM by Dust.
September 19, 2012 09:34PM
Hi all

I think the reprap meetup evening went very well. I certainly learned a lot and have since managed to improve my prints (moar cooling tongue sticking out smiley )

There has been some talk of running another meet up. I think it is a good idea, giving the success of the last one. However, there are only 3 weeks left of teaching at uni, after that it is exams and summer break.

Do you think we should run another so soon? We could run another on a weekend in two weeks time if we want students at uni to show up and have a look, or we could run it later in the summer but we won't get many students coming by (I should still be able to book a room though)

I would be running the event as an aerospace club event, the club is interested in technology and this fits right in. From my perspective, it would be better if there were more students around when we run it. However as a reprapper I would also just like to meet up again at some point tongue sticking out smiley

Thoughts?
September 19, 2012 09:42PM
Also, I have had a chat with the mechanical engineering department, who have just bought and commissioned a 40k ish Dimension Elite machine. Depending on timing we could probably organise a trip to see it running and have a look at its output on the same day as the next reprap meetup.
September 20, 2012 04:18AM
Yeah,i thought that the first meet and greet went well ..and another meet-up will be great . .i learned heaps, and gave me new ideasgrinning smiley. .looking forward to the next group meet .
September 20, 2012 05:01AM
Can't seem to view the pictures - is that link correct?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 20, 2012 05:19AM
hosting site is crap... Try this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 05:27AM by Dust.
September 20, 2012 05:36AM
Awesome pictures Dust.
September 20, 2012 05:38AM
I didn't take them, I take no responsibility other than posting them tongue sticking out smiley
September 21, 2012 05:15AM
Excellent turn out - well done.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 26, 2012 09:10PM
If anyone needs some help with their printers. I will be happy to do so. Would have to be after work or weekend in Wainoni. I have two printers working well. I am the person that had the little people and wind speed unit at the meet. please PM me.
October 11, 2012 10:33PM
Is this going to be a regular event or just a one-off? With enough warning mainlanders from further away might make the trip, I know I would.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
October 12, 2012 05:54AM
There is no official reprap group in christchurch just yet . .hopefully there will be one . .but i have faith that the first meet wont be the last . .
January 07, 2013 05:21AM
Any plans for another South Island gathering? There are a few long weekends coming up in the next few months.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 07, 2013 05:51AM
Main issue is we need a repeatable venue.

Ive e-mailed a contact.. trying for a bi monthly meeting place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 05:59AM by Dust.
January 11, 2013 08:54PM
let us know when and where the next event will be. ..cheers>grinning smiley<
February 24, 2013 03:13PM
Hi All

The University of Canterbury Aerospace club is looking at running another 3D printer evening on march 14 at 6.30pm onward . It would be awesome if some of the Christchurch reprap community could make it. We will be running it in the Electrical Engineering department. At some point in the evening we might be able to do a tour to the mechanical wing and have a look at some of their 3D printers (2 UP! printers and one Dimension machine).

It would be great to see you there smiling smiley If you are planning on brining a printer just let me know so I can make sure we will have enough tables and power points available.

Cheers
Andre
February 24, 2013 09:21PM
Awesome, hope to be there and might bring a printer or two with me. I have penciled that date in so give us a bit of warning if it is going to change as I need to make arrangements for travel and accommodation etc.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login