Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap pro mendel

Posted by matwelli 
Reprap pro mendel
July 28, 2012 05:05AM
Has anyone brought one of these ? [reprappro.com] looks like it has everything i need for about $1k landed in NZ

new to 3d printing, so dont want to get a kit thats not worth while

Cheers

Mat
(Hawera-Taranaki)
Re: Reprap pro mendel
July 28, 2012 07:04AM
Don't forget about the tax man, anything over about $300nz (and they include shipping in that) they charge you import duty
%15
July 28, 2012 05:39PM
I bought a Huxley from RepRapPro and I'm very happy with it.

The only thing that didn't work straight out of the box was the heatbed, the thermistor fell off. RepRapPro sent a replacement. Actually, they sent two replacements, as NZ Post managed to lose the first one.

I expect the Mendel will be just as reliable.

I didn't expect the Customs inquisition. So the extra $200 was a rude surpriseconfused smiley
July 28, 2012 08:21PM
Thanks guys, know all about the tax man, have imported alot of gear over the last few years.

OK, so Huxley or Mendel. Mendel costs about 145 more Inc exchange rate and gst

Edited thinking about it - Huxley - nice small footprint - and can always build something bigger if needed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2012 09:15PM by matwelli.
July 29, 2012 07:39PM
Just pushed the buy now from RepRap Pro on a Huxley

now the dreaded wait... i hate this part, 3 weeks of second guessing if you brought the right machine, finding out there is one twice as good for half the price...... smiling smiley
July 30, 2012 12:05AM
Just for comparison (if you're up for straying from the "standard" path - and I totally accept that some people aren't) then the Ord Bot printers come in at less that. It's a design that can be considered proven now, given that there are a few hundred out there working.
July 31, 2012 08:41PM
Dust Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't forget about the tax man, anything over
> about $300nz (and they include shipping in that)
> they charge you import duty
> %15

The IRD will collect the GST if it exceeds $50 so at 15% that means a total spend of $400 is the threshold. I bought my Prusa from Makerfarm and bought it in two lots to stay under this however I slightly missed my currency calculation and ended up spending NZ$460 on the second lot so I might be geting a bill from them soon.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
July 31, 2012 08:46PM
if you were going to get a bill, its collected before the package leaves the clearing house in Auckland they will ring and ask or send a letter, for credit card details - so i think you are safe.

Was lucky once, had a $2000 dollar digital pressure gauge from Switzerland come straight thru.
August 07, 2012 07:54PM
Just cleared customs $190 ($150 GST the rest were clearance fees) so should eb here by Friday ! in time for the weekend
August 26, 2012 06:59AM
How is the printer build going?
I'd like to see some photos if you can tear yourself away from the build.
Did you get it with electronics and if so, what does it come with?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
August 27, 2012 05:06AM
Hi Will post some photos tomorrow, havent had as much time on it as i would like, still have the heated bed, extruder, hot end and wiring to do, yes comes with a board.

Cheers

Mat
August 27, 2012 04:48PM
From what I have seen it looks like a lot of the parts are the same as the earlier Mendel but wider and relocated filament feeder. The z-axis drives are 5mm too aren't they? Is it still a 200x200 build area?
I never got a bill for the GST by the way so must have sneaked under the threshold.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 04, 2012 04:49AM
How goes this project?

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
November 10, 2012 10:33PM
well, 3 months after starting, had a quiet sunday afternoon..... finall have all the mechanical assembly done, borowed a gas tourch from work, to heat the ally block up on the extruder (to make a leak free seal between the nozzle and spacer)

hopefully wiring tomorrow and set-up tuesday !
November 18, 2012 02:10AM
well, finally got it finished today, but have an issue with teh bed temperature

nozzle is reported as 20 deg, bed as 7deg

swap thermisters, and the numbers stay the same, so its not a thermister issue, its either a measuring circuit or firmware ?

tried to play with the firmware values (using pronteface) but dosent change, so i doubt it is actually changing the firmware
November 18, 2012 04:54AM
Are you using the same thermosistor for heat bed amd hot end? What firmware are you using ? Check you thermosistor table setting on your config.h of whatever firmware you are using . .
November 22, 2012 03:26AM
When I turn my RepRapPro Huxley on, it always reads lower on the bed temp than the hot end. Your readings sound about the same. I guess it's just the tables for the resistors aren't as good at lower temps. I print just fine at the recomended print temps for PLA, though I haven't checked the actual temperatures.
November 23, 2012 05:03AM
@ Alizier21 yes both thermisters are identical, hence the bed thermister read correctly when plugged into the hotend port

@Inquisitor sound advice, actualy found any temperature from 70 to 80 deg , which if there is a 15 degC off set was 85 to 95 , she works fine, done a few prints, now to get into using sketchup to make some parts for my quadcopters smiling smiley

currently, wheres the best place to buy filament ?
November 23, 2012 01:46PM
I recomend Vik Olliver's site [diamondage.co.nz]

Quick, good quality thread. He is happy to send samples of different colours or types for free.
November 28, 2012 04:53AM
thanks for that, the impact modified PLA looks great
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login