Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

trouble in paradise

Posted by Alizier21 
trouble in paradise
August 27, 2012 06:25AM
So ive been off my printer for a while, when i got back to it, my prints where not the same quality as before. .so i got my tools and tinkered away . .mechanical side of the printer was good as gold . .maybe it was the bowden which i just recently switched to. ."to gain some z travel" . .with that as a suspect culprit, i changed back to the normal extruder config i was using . .still getting bad finished prints . .so when i was to change back to the bowden config . .then i realized a hadnt look at my hot end yet . .so took off the insulation tape . .low and beheld against me were broken off resistor leads . .weird though as i was still getting temp readings on the printer interface . So ill be givin' the old hot end an overhaul . .total accumulative time printing would be 45hrs or so . . .
Attachments:
open | download - 20120827_215608.jpg (145 KB)
open | download - 20120827_215340.jpg (198.4 KB)
Re: trouble in paradise
August 28, 2012 04:45AM
Where was it stored when you weren't using it?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
August 28, 2012 05:07AM
It was inside the house @ wired1

Got my hot end built again . . .heating and temp checks ok . . .havent printed with it yet . .something for tommorow . .if i get some time . . .
Attachments:
open | download - 20120828_204518.jpg (194.7 KB)
August 30, 2012 05:16AM
How did it go?

My hot end is out of action at the moment. I melted the heater resistor, and two replacements.
Vik Oliver suggested nichrome wire imbedded in furnace cement, and gave me some wire. Once I have sourced some furnace cement, I'll give it a go.

Also, if you are usung PLA, I hope you have stored it somewhere cool and dry. Someone did suggest heating in an oven at 50C for an hour or so to remove unwanted moisture, but I haven't been game to try it.
August 30, 2012 04:17PM
Its up and running again @ inquisistor

I was also looking at using nichrome wires, but used the resistor coz i couldnt source some fire cement at the time i was building . .what is the watt and ohms specs on the resistors you use ? What controller are you using on your 3d printer?

My hot end setup is 2x 5watt @ 5.6 ohms 5% tollerance and i use sanguino 1.3 as controller, the mosfet for the hot end runs warmer than the one for the heat bed but nothing a 60mm fan couldnt controll . .
August 31, 2012 01:25AM
I'm using Sanguinololu, the voltage across the hot end resistor measures 19 volts. The Huxley assembly page suggests a 6.8 ohm 3 watt resistor.
I went into Jaycar today to try and find the right resistor, but the only wire wound resistors they have are 5 watt, square and too large to fit the hole. I got some more nichrome wire and Bunnings had the high temperature cement, so I should have enough for several attempts.
Vik said that 4 ohms is enough and that the nichrome wire in the furnace cement can survive getting red hot. I'll let you know.
September 02, 2012 12:39AM
Got my hot end wound with about 50cm of nichrome wire imbedded in furnace cement. It reads about 7 ohm. Hooked it all up, and now I find that the thermistor isn't working. Maybe that's why my resistors blew.
I have had to chip some of the cement away to get the thermistor out. Some of the nichrome wire is exposed, but it still reads 7 ohm.
Tried it out on a 12 volt battery charger. Heated up nicely.

Now I need to source another thermistor. Any Ideas?
September 02, 2012 04:05AM
Pretty sure Vik sells them Diamondage

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2012 04:06AM by Wired1.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 02, 2012 05:17AM
You are probably right, since it was Vik's suggestion I'm trying with the nichrome wire. I didn't see what thermistors he used for his hot ends as they were buried deep in the cement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login