Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Pro

Posted by Wired1 
Prusa Pro
August 31, 2012 06:31PM
Started building my second printer this week, it's a blend of the rock steady Prusa with Mendel Pro rod lengths and some other improved parts from thingiverse and some I have designed. I printed out all the parts on my original Mendel Prusa in stunning yellow and have so far got the basic frame together and squared up.

I am also using the x-carriage, x-motor and idler designed by Jonaskuehling and my one-piece y-carriage. This is my version of the adjustable y-axis motor mount for easy belt tensioning.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
Re: Prusa Pro
September 01, 2012 05:59PM
Threaded rod lengths are as follows:
End frame triangles: 370mm x 6
Top cross members: 470mm x 2
Z-stabiliser: 380mm x 1
Lower cross members: 330mm x 4
Plus the lead screws not cut yet - I have bought some stainless threaded rod for these in the hope it is straighter than the zinc plated steel ones.

Smooth rods:
Y-axis: 400mm x 2
X-axis: 430mm x 2
Z-axis: 350mm x 2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2012 04:03AM by Wired1.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 02, 2012 04:04AM
Got it all together today, just waiting for a few remaining parts to arrive now.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 05, 2012 03:49AM
Looks very good

September 05, 2012 05:23AM
Thanks gary, it's a bit experimental but it is getting there. I am onto my third one-piece y-carriage design now and this one works nicely. It does take five hours to print and took over 6m of PLA but once it is printed it does away with most of the bits and pieces between the heater and the rails. Got my thumb height adjusters in and working too so tweaking it should be easier than my current printer.

The y-axis build area is a little over 220mm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2012 05:25AM by Wired1.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 09, 2012 07:13AM
This weekend I rebuilt my x-carriage, I wanted front and rear fan mounts and all the ones out there are on the sides which limits x-axis travel so I bit the bullet and redesigned it to what I want. [www.thingiverse.com]

I also cut the glass to size. I have ordered the final few parts like belts and another Printrboard so in the mean time I'll do some more work on the next project. You can also see my original Prusa printing out more parts for the MendelMax in the background .

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 15, 2012 07:57PM
Finished the wiring yesterday so now I'm only waiting for another drive belt. I overlooked the fact that now that my machine is oversize a standard belt is too short smiling smiley

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 15, 2012 09:02PM
Very cool
I'm still constantly tweaking my old Sells Mendel
September 16, 2012 12:28AM
Wow thats one tidy looking Prusa. Nice job on that wiring, very clean.
September 16, 2012 02:23AM
Grogyan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very cool
> I'm still constantly tweaking my old Sells Mendel

I'm trying to covert my sells from Gen6 to sanguino with SD printing as I can't do any prints not without a Y axis shift which is damn annoying

September 20, 2012 02:28AM
There are some really good mods here. I want to have a go at building a dual print head machine so that I can print PVA support. I'd like to use your design. Could you supply links to the various places in thingiverse?

The main rigidity weakness with the Prusa design is the lack of stability in the frame when the print head is moving in the X direction. To counter this, I'm planning on mounting my new Prusa on a large ceramic (floor) tile and cutting up an other to provide rigid side braces to secure the frame in the Z axis.

My other concern is in supporting the weight of a dual headed extruder (complete with two steppers and J Heads) and I'd like to upgrade my X axis to use 10 or 12 mm rods. Are your designs parametric? Could I have the original files to allow me to modify them to take the larger rods?

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
September 20, 2012 04:21AM
Yes I am looking at dual heads or more at the moment too. I prefer the heated bed to the PVA method and want the extra colour capability.

All the parts I have designed are here on Thingiverse: [www.thingiverse.com]
includes my y-carriage, x-carriage, y-motor mount and various other fan holders, limit switch holders etc.
plus I used Jonas Kuehling's x-ends here: [www.thingiverse.com]

Unfortunately none of my parts are parametric so unless you are doing 8mm you will need to search for others. I am now building a Mendel Max 1.5 and using x-ends from here: [www.thingiverse.com] which seems to have most of the popular combinations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 04:22AM by Wired1.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 28, 2012 05:29PM
Got my Printrboard SD card working this morning. Pronterface doesn't have many SD commands so I'll have to add some.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
October 06, 2012 09:50PM
Quick video printing out a new vertex on this printer here:

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login