Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need some small parts printed

Posted by joshendy 
Need some small parts printed
September 09, 2012 01:55AM
Hi everyone. I'm building myself a delta 3D printer based off the Rostock design - Check it out here. I've had to modify my design a fair bit so I can produce all the parts on my CNC router. My CNC has limitations however and I need a part that only a 3D printer can produce.

I've attached the file to this topic so have a look and see if you think you could hammer 24 of them out. Probably make it 28 ish to be safe. Also if its not too much of a pain I'd quite like them in a black or grey colour.

I don't have any experience yet with using a 3D printer so I'm unsure of how my model will come out. It is very important that the little object be the same size as in the drawing (8x8x12mm), a little off (0.1-0.2mm) isn't a problem. Another thing is the four circular 6mm pockets which I need to be a press fit for 6mm diameter bearings.

The pockets are 6mm in diameter in the CAD file but I'm not sure if when printed they might be a fair bit smaller because of shrinkage or inaccuracies or whatever and result in not being able to fit the bearings.

I'd really appreciate any help with this and can pay for the work as long as you don't want too much money because I just spent $5k on urgent eye surgery and now I'm quite broke. BTW I'm in Wellington but I'd be fine sending bank deposit and having the items couriered.

Cheers,
Josh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 02:00AM by joshendy.
Attachments:
open | download - bearing joint.zip (64.9 KB)
Re: Need some small parts printed
September 09, 2012 03:25AM
I would be willing to, as that looks like a relatively easy print. However, being in the states means that shipping would be expensive and take a long time. There are quite a few reprappers in New Zealand though, I'm sure someone there could help you out.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 10, 2012 05:37AM
I'm in Upper Hutt and willing to help, but my Huxley is out of action for now. Hoping to get it running again soon.
September 11, 2012 12:17AM
Thanks for your offers. I need the parts sooner than later and I'm a little worried about the accuracy so I'm thinking about ordering the parts from Shapeways. They seem to be a good source and it will only cost $22 USD to make the parts. Unfortunately though they want $20 for shipping.
September 11, 2012 02:04PM
Hi,

what kind of load will these parts be under?

I printed the part a few times and a bunch of them split in half because of the rounded corners and the little material.
September 11, 2012 04:18PM
if you're wanting them quickly then $42US sounds like a fairly good deal for 28 of the things.
I'd be interested in giving it a shot, and may give it a go anyway to see how they come out, but I can't promise anything any-time soon. (whenever you want to print something which has a timeframe, you can be sure you're printer will act up and break), and I'm away next week.
September 11, 2012 04:36PM
I agree, that's less than $2 per item - chinese prices smiling smiley

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 11, 2012 05:49PM
@BertFromProtoneer

Thanks for printing it out and giving it a try. I'm kind of suprised they broke in half but I guess they are very small and theres not much "meat" in them. I've uploaded a new design, old one had some measurement errors. New one is also a little less hollow.

They will be under a little load, but I'm quite sure the load will be so little that there wont be any issues.

@se5a

Yea it's not too bad. I'm having a hard time getting over $20 USD to ship tiny little plastic pieces though. Plus with what Bert said above I'm fairly worried I could get the parts in the mail and they won't be fit for the job due to issues with my model.

I really wish I had access to a 3D printer so I could sit down and hammer them out. I just finished a degree at Wellington Institute of Technology and they had a few 3D printers. I wonder if I asked nicely they'd let me use them... Probably not.

But if anyone still wants to print out the new design and take some photos and show me the results I'd really appreciate it. I imagine a 3D printer must be able to print this little design in just a few minutes?
Attachments:
open | download - bearing joint v2.stl (177.2 KB)
September 11, 2012 06:32PM
Will give it a second go tonight.
I will try and print it upright so the
layers are in the oposing direction that it
broke the last time.
September 11, 2012 06:51PM
Awesome thanks. I wasn't happy with the last model so I made two other beefier versions. Version 3 is a little more square shaped so should be stronger overall and version 4 is the same but missing the internal 3mm holes so is much more dense in the centre and should be less fiddly to print I'm guessing. I could use my CNC router to make a jig to help me manually drill the 3mm holes into the pieces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 06:52PM by joshendy.
Attachments:
open | download - bearing joint v3.stl (176.7 KB)
open | download - bearing joint v4.stl (103.7 KB)
September 12, 2012 04:55AM
Josh
On another thread on the NZ part of the forum "Wellington reprap meeting", the user "Diecast dude" said he worked at Weltec. So it may be worth contacting him.
September 14, 2012 07:25PM
I'm up and printing again. Do you have an STL file of the parts you need printed?
September 14, 2012 08:06PM
You should build/buy a reprapper Josh, every time I design something I usually make two or three of them before I get it right and it sounds like you are going through this process too.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 15, 2012 02:07AM
@Inquisitor

Thanks for the offer but user BertFromProtoneer has been helping me out the past few days. He's already sent me the first test piece and it looks really good, just some tweaks and I'll have my parts all done!

@Wired1

Do you mean buy a 3D printer? I only need a 3D printer to make this one part, my CNC router will make the rest of my 3D printer for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login