Advanced

MendelMax / Rostock Experement Using OpenBeam

Posted by BertFromProtoneer 
Re: MendelMax / Rostock Experement Using OpenBeam
January 12, 2013 08:18PM
Up on Thingiverse now...
OB1.4 printer on thingiverse
Also on trying out two new repositories OB14 on GrabCad and OB14 on Cubehero

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 11:02PM by Wired1.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 13, 2013 01:46AM
Wired1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Up on Thingiverse now...
> OB1.4 printer on thingiverse
> Also on trying out two new repositories OB14 on
> GrabCad and OB14 on Cubehero

Great work Simon!!! When are you thinking of making some kits available? I have had a few requests already... smiling smiley

Protoneer.co.nz - Blog - [blog.Protoneer.co.nz]
Protoneer.co.nz - Shop - [shop.Protoneer.co.nz]
January 14, 2013 12:47AM
Me too, I'm just not sure how to go about doing it or how much of a kit to offer - do people want a full kit or just the plastics etc.
There is one more mod I want to make first plus I need to finish the new x-carriage and bowden tube extruder setup then it will be all go smiling smiley
But then I'm also waiting for the alloy printer decks to turn up from the Water Cutting Company in Wellington plus the LCD panel to arrive from Royco Kickstarter along with my Azteeg X3 it will run so when it is finished it will be a true stand-alone printer - phew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 12:48AM by Wired1.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 14, 2013 02:27AM
Wired1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...plus the LCD panel to arrive from Royco
> Kickstarter...

Simon you do have an eye for beauty!!!

Start with just the plastics I would say. As you add more features update the design. The people that buy the first designs can always print the upgrade parts them self's or modify it to work with there needs.

That way you will also get some funds in for more R&D.

Protoneer.co.nz - Blog - [blog.Protoneer.co.nz]
Protoneer.co.nz - Shop - [shop.Protoneer.co.nz]
January 15, 2013 03:22AM
Bit more progess on the x-axis, printing the x-carriage tonight.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 22, 2013 04:01AM
Finished the bowden tube setup tonight, ran out of yellow PLA so I will have to wait a couple of days before reprinting these parts in the right colour.

Printable height is looking very promising at over 200mm ...

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 22, 2013 06:43PM
I want one! cool smiley

Let me know when you have a kit finalised, might as well start building the "family".
January 22, 2013 08:13PM
Will do, you'll be number 2 then smiling smiley
I want to test run the x-carriage to see how it handles the temprature. I have been using an extruder I designed with a built-in j-head clamp and was printed in PLA without any problems so it should be fine. Worst case is I have to print this part in ABS but I'm not eager to do that.
I also have a fan mount to go on here but I will wait until the yellow PLA turns up.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 24, 2013 06:01PM
It will be interesting to see how well the bowden tube works.... i can see the advantage of the super light x carriage, but I wonder if you will loose precision with the flex/spring of the filament in the tube...
January 25, 2013 07:20AM
Yes, bowden is trading head weight (more possible move speed, or space for multiple filaments) for extrusion hysteresis (leading to ooze and strings).

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
January 25, 2013 03:11PM
This is my first attempt at the bowden tube type extruder and the attraction is getting the weight off the x-carriage and maybe increased printing speed and multiple head possibilities as a bonus. I may still design a standard carriage for it (or anyone else can for that matter) for a standard wade type extruder as a backup. It was more complicated than I was expecting and the jury is still out...
Come to think of it, I will add some dimensions to the upload pack to make it easier for others to make an alternative.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 25, 2013 06:02PM
What is the problem when it comes to the weight of the X carriage? I would have thought that keeping the weight on the Z nuts would be desirable?
January 25, 2013 06:27PM
The weight of the x-carriage with the heavy stepper motor on it makes changes in direction slower whereas the bowden tube carriage weighs bugger all by comparison. The mass you have to overcome puts more stress on the belts and pulleys as well so adds to backlash as the belts spring around. In theory you should be able to hoon around with the bowden setup at much higher speeds and turn out much quicker prints

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 25, 2013 08:21PM
OK, gotcha
January 25, 2013 09:24PM
It's just a theory of course smiling smiley

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 29, 2013 12:44AM
Some updates showing the alloy plates I had water jet cut plus I have reprinted the carriage in yellow PLA.
Now I'm just waiting for my Azteeg X3 to arrive then I can make it all go.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
February 05, 2013 03:40PM
Just an update for those wondering what is happening...
I'm still waiting for my Azteeg X3 controller to arrive along with the Viki LCD control panel. I made a dummy panel here: [www.thingiverse.com] to help figure out where it is going to be mounted.
Another builder here is building an oversize OB1.4 so that might be interesting to see how sturdy the Open Beam is at larger lengths, video here: [www.youtube.com]
In the mean time I will carry on with my Mendel Max which is taking up a lot of room on my bench.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
February 12, 2013 01:49AM
I'm enjoying seeing your work - great stuff. Really tempted to build one of these once my first printer's up and running. I like the aesthetic - looks rock solid and has a nice "engineery" feel to it.
February 16, 2013 03:48PM
I have unleashed a monster - have a look at this OB14 - Large scale

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
February 12, 2014 05:52PM
Absolutely love this kit - How much did it cost you all in roughly? Would you be selling kits of this? - I would love one for my first 3D printer

Regards,

James Simpson
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login