Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glass

Posted by waitaki 
Glass
November 27, 2012 06:45PM
What type of glass are you guys using? What thickness? Does cheap and cheerful work as good as expensive tempered stufff?

AL
Re: Glass
November 28, 2012 01:24AM
I use bog standard 3mm picture frame glass because I had some. I clean it between each print with meths and heat it to 55-60c.

Prints stick like hell and I have to leave it to cool before they come off, which is why I have 2 pieces and just swap them

November 28, 2012 01:33AM
I used an old flat bed scanners glass... No idea on its specifications. Other than its thiner than 3mm.

Only used it for PLA 50-60c
November 28, 2012 04:35AM
I used both 3 mm normal window glass and some heat resistant (for owen doors) 5 mm glass.

The former is flater - or is less flexing, not sure.

No point in investing into expensive heat resistant glass for bed IMO.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
November 28, 2012 05:46PM
Think mine is 3mm bog standard stuff from Smith and Smith glass - $10 cut to size. After buying a cheap frame and a glass cutter - and breaking it the glass! - it was cheaper to get the pro's to do it smiling smiley
November 28, 2012 09:47PM
Wow, thanks for the insight guys - I think that's made the job simpler then.
November 28, 2012 11:42PM
Yes get a pro to cut it. I Just took the old scanner glass down to the local glass place and they cut it for free

You don't want broken glass threw your fingers, I speak from experience on this one... (not reprap related)
November 29, 2012 01:22AM
I used NelsonRap's idea and went to the Warehouse and bought a $5 picture frame then cut it down at home. I have done a lot of leadlight stuff so I guess the cutting is easy for me but it's not that difficult and once you've made a few of them the cost goes down.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
November 29, 2012 03:34AM
Hey Wired, how did you tell how thick the glass was before you bought it? In fact, how thick is yours?

AL
November 29, 2012 03:22PM
Picture frame glass is nearly always 3mm anything else is too thick for the frame

November 29, 2012 06:14PM
Yes 3mm, works really well. I just use a safety razor blade to clean it, works great.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
November 30, 2012 01:22AM
I see some people use mirrors. I guess that's just for window dressing?
November 30, 2012 04:34AM
Re-measured mine and it is 2mm, which I think is too thin with the warped heat bed (see the post in my Mendel90 thread). I'm going to drop into the glass place tomorrow and get a piece of 3mm cut.
November 30, 2012 07:18PM
Just went down to the boys at Smith and Smith and asked for a piece of 3mm glass, 'no problem' they say and I give them the 2mm piece to size from. 'No charge' says the guy at the counter 'it's just a scrap piece anyway' Get home, unwrap the package and it's another piece of 2mm! grinning smiley Ah well, I'll drop in Monday and have another shot. Wonder if I could use 2 x 2mm - or would the air gap in the middle cause me heating issues?
December 03, 2012 12:59AM
Problem sorted, got a bit of 3mm - much better!
December 05, 2012 01:30AM
I am using 4mm treated glass I get from trinity glass. about $10 cut to size. The glass is very strong also the treatment makes the glass very flat. Why risk it when the good stuff is quite cheep. It is rated for use under hot pots and pans.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login