Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sourcing parts / buying group?

Posted by jrmurd 
Sourcing parts / buying group?
January 17, 2013 06:09PM
Hi,

I'm wanting to create a RepRap/MendelMax, I would prefer to make a OpenBeam one but the sourcing of the plastic parts look difficult. I'm getting a bit of topic though... I'm wanting to put together a list of where the best places for part sourcing is. I'm also interested in anyone else wanting some parts i.e stainless linear rails can be had for cheap if you purchase a 6m length or whether its just to save on international shipping (i'm in Christchurch)..

Anyone else interested in sourcing some parts with me?
Re: Sourcing parts / buying group?
January 18, 2013 05:48PM
There are a few guys here and around selling stuff and it seems that most are selling on Trademe so search for "reprap" and you will find all the usual suspects. There is some good value linear rod on there at the moment I noticed, cheaper than what I paid for mine from overseas and it would arrive quicker too.

There is also Vik at Diamondage who is the guy to see for filament and some other parts,
and Bert at Protoneer for Open Beam and other parts.
plus you can always start buying up old photo copiers and ransacking them for parts like I did - but it does create a lot of waste...

Anyone else please feel free add to this list for local suppliers...

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 24, 2013 11:41PM
There's a very extensive list already posted here:

http://reprap.org/wiki/RUG/New_Zealand

You can also buy from my website plug>
Regards,
Mike Paauwe

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[www.makershop.co.nz]
Makershop - Reprap parts, adding new stock almost daily.
January 25, 2013 03:16PM
Just as a heads up Acronum industries no longer trade

January 25, 2013 05:58PM
I've seen several reprap type businesses go tits up. I wonder why that is? Maybe a lack of business acumen?
January 25, 2013 06:23PM
It is tough to price low enough to be competitive yet not still make a profit plus if you make too much profit you get slammed for that too. I think it is like a lot of things these days - it is hard to compete with cheap off-shore products and while everyone says they will pay more for quality most still buy on price at the end of the day.
It is also a very small market so hard to do volume.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 25, 2013 08:23PM
Yeah, seems like people want quality and cheap these days!
January 25, 2013 09:25PM
Cheap, fast & high quality, pick any two...

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 26, 2013 04:42AM
Yeah, I wonder sometimes whether I am nuts trying to start up but I am sure that I am adding a valuable service for local makers and that it is OK that I make a fair profit from providing that service.

People will buy on price unless you can offer them some other advantage such as speed, simplicity, safety, service or support. That is where I am aiming at.

Buying locally has these big advantages:

You can have the parts in your hand in a day or 2. or even less if you pick up. I've waited up to 50 days for a product out of China.

The freight is not a killer. If you buy small quantities from USA or China the freight can be a lot more than the price of the goods.

You can get the quantity required. You don't need to buy 10 of something when you only want one or two.

You can deal with one supplier and get what you need in one order.

When things go wrong the supplier is not on the other side of the world in a completely different time zone.

When you need advice help or support the supplier speaks the same language as you and understands the reprap printers.

By the way the Acronum website has been dead for months but the someone is still actively trading on TradeMe as Acronum.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=2335409

[www.makershop.co.nz]
Makershop - Reprap parts, adding new stock almost daily.
January 28, 2013 01:42AM
mikep-nz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By the way the Acronum website has been dead for
> months but the someone is still actively trading
> on TradeMe as Acronum.
> [www.trademe.co.nz]
> ber=2335409

Yes that's us elling of the last few bits, it all ends in March, simply put it was never about making a living and neither Liam or I (Gary) have the time to continue running Acronum so we took the decision to close it down at the end of the financial year but we shut the webshop early as we were running out of stock too and didn't want to buy any more

March 07, 2013 09:09PM
Where can i buy some small springs in Christchurch or NZ or shipped at reasonable cost etc.

I need 4 (10mm x 10mm) for the print bed and 2 (6mm x 15mm) for extruder.
March 07, 2013 09:35PM
If you have a Bunnings nearby they sell them in packets.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login