Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta-Pi Design Prototype

Posted by mikep-nz 
Delta-Pi Design Prototype
February 02, 2013 10:40PM
Hi All,
I'm cross posting this from the Delta group so sorry if anyone gets it twice.
I wanted to share what I am up to with a few kiwis as well.

I finished the prototype of a design I am working on to the point where it moves the extruder platform around under firmware control.

I've posted videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8R4OSETS9w4YhqKZxSJ_sn5H3QVfR8ZY

and more photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/86621828@N05/sets/72157632623446146/

and updated the reprap.orgpage here: http://reprap.org/wiki/Delta-Pi

The concept works OK. There is one fairly major issue that the platform twists visibly when moving sideways near the front of the envelope. This is when the back arm is almost horizontal and is not able to provide much resistance to twisting.

One solution may be to use larger diameter carbon tube and switch from pulltruded tube to rolled tube.

Next step isto add a pen holder anddo some doodles. Then add a build platform and an extruder for some 3D printing.

Regards,
Mike Paauwe

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[www.makershop.co.nz]
Makershop - Reprap parts, adding new stock almost daily.
Re: Delta-Pi Design Prototype
February 02, 2013 11:52PM
Fascinating!
February 24, 2013 04:59PM
Hi All,
I've made some progress so I thought I better update you all.
I abandoned the 90° tower separation idea. It was fundamentally flawed. So the design falls back to being a more "normal" 120° separation like Johan's original Rostock.

I've now published the STLs on Thingiverse. [www.thingiverse.com]
and there's a new video with a bit more of a walkaround.
[youtu.be]

It's still a work in progress so the files may change and there's no published BOM or other documentation yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated
Regards,
Mike Paauwe
March 16, 2013 07:41PM
The prototype printed its first part on Thursday evening (14 March 2103). Yay!!!
It was at the Mindkits Meetup which was hosted by Mindhive in downtown Auckland.
Nothing like an audience to add a bit of pressure.

[www.makershop.co.nz]
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2135a.jpg (238.1 KB)
March 16, 2013 09:46PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this at Makertorium
November 22, 2013 07:02PM
How does the accuracy and precision compare with your Rostock? Which would you recommend? I was going to do a rostock, but then heard the square box aluminium is more precise and cheaper. So now I'm looking at doing this instead.

Edit: Perhaps you could post this under the Delta - steward Platform subforum? [forums.reprap.org]
That way this design would get more views, development. More people will build it.
It took quite a while before I finally found this design. Its not easy to stumble across if you're looking at rostocks and rostock derivates and keen to see new designs (I think Delta-Pi qualifies as a rostock derivate). Your thoughts?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 07:12PM by TheTechnicalNoob.
November 22, 2013 11:59PM
Hi TTN,
The Rostock pictured belongs to a friend of mine. He since pulled his Rostock to bits and recycled it into a Delta-Pi.
The motors, belts, pulleys and dimensions are identical for Rostock and Delta-Pi so there should not be any difference.
The reality is that accuracy and precision are more determined by build quality and the stiffness of the frame. In the case of my freind, he did a very solid job of the construction and he has printed some 12 inch high spiral vases with a single layer perimeter and they hold water. That to me is a pretty good test.
They looked very impressive too. I wish I had some photos to share.
Regards,
Mike

[www.makershop.co.nz]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login