Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CAPA supplies in NZ

Posted by Ross 
CAPA supplies in NZ
January 15, 2009 09:25PM
Greetings folks,

Anyone been able to source CAPA in New Zealand?

I have contacted CARR (as indicated elsewhere in the forums) but they can not get it.
Re: CAPA supplies in NZ
January 19, 2009 12:08AM
Sorry, can't help with CAPA but I'm using 3mm pipe grade HDPE (HDPEP3R) instead, which I got from Carrs (http://www.carrgroup.co.nz/).
Daz
January 19, 2009 10:37PM
I though these guys looked promising - haven't contacted them yet but the stock on their website looked pretty comprehensive.

[www.plasticweldrods.co.nz]
January 20, 2009 08:07AM
If you find anything very good remember to post back here... Who knows, perhaps you'll find something Vik missed. According to [forums.reprap.org] ABS is ~NZ$40 + postage for 100m roll.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2009 08:12AM by Nil Einne.
January 21, 2009 03:42PM
Imagin Plastics (the website mentioned above) are also not able to supply CAPA either.

I suspect our only option is to import it.

I purchased some ABS from CARR to use in setup and first tests (when I finally get my machine working).

Reece, how is the HDPE working out? Print quality etc.
January 22, 2009 09:40PM
Unfortunately I haven't printed anything yet put it does look pretty just sitting there all coiled up ready for use :-)
February 21, 2009 08:02AM
I think CAPA is also known as friendly plastic, shapelock plastic, and polymorph plastic.

Jaycar have pelets, but almost $14, for only 100 grams.
Bulk order some?
June 17, 2009 02:57AM
I could see if we could get some shipped out. How much do we need here?

I've got a few rolls of 3mm PLA filament here as well, should anybody need it.

Vik :v)
Re: Bulk order some?
June 17, 2009 03:03AM
Hi Vic,
I see your activity on the threads tonight...
I'm still expecting to be asking you for some PLA and/or ABS in due course,
My machine's still coming together though. Some beastly problems with the default linker file for my 32 bit micro, but I'm working around them for now.

I think Catalyst are a wellington Co, might be interesting to compare machines at some stage later.

Graham Daniel
June 17, 2009 03:43AM
Great. We might even combine the two events to save on shipping, thus leaving more in the kitty for beer smiling smiley

June 21, 2009 02:06AM
I was going to let you know about that event, it came around on the RoboNz group mail list
June 21, 2009 05:10PM
Looks like we're close enough to exchange bits anyway!

June 23, 2009 03:42AM
I bought some polymorh from Jaycar today, while I was at lunch (the shop is just a short 10 minute walk away), heated some a few pellets, which turned nicely transparent, and was not hot to touch, and fun to play with.
To play with I put a small 0402 (smaller than a quarter the size of a grain of rice) sized LED into the lump of polymorh, let it cool and plugged it into the power supply (2.5V @ 0.02mA), the polymorph does well to spread light from the LED all the way around the polymorh lump fairly evenly.
June 23, 2009 06:03AM
Yes, I've used it to replace the end of an electric cigarette. It does yellow with age though. Stays tough and reusable - just goes a bit yellow much as epoxy does as it ages.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login