Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1.75mm PLA Hotend recommendations

Posted by trqtsq 
1.75mm PLA Hotend recommendations
June 05, 2013 03:07AM
I need a new hotend. 1.75mm for PLA, will be using bowden tube and want to use pushfit connectors. Also want to use cartridge style heaters.
Was going to get a j-head, first from china on ebay, but there are none for 1.75mm filament, then from hotends.com, but they are out of stock.
seemecnc has one that looks good, but shipping is $25 USD.

Any other recomendations for a good 1.75mm hotend that itsn't too expensive with shipping to NZ?

Cheers.
Re: 1.75mm PLA Hotend recommendations
June 09, 2013 05:07AM
Slightly off-topic but you sound like you have an opinion: why do you use 1.75 filament? is it cheaper or better print quality?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2013 05:07AM by Wired1.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
June 09, 2013 10:08PM
For the record, I looked at a few hot ends, but decided to play it 'safe' in the end and get a well known (and proper 1.75mm) J-Head from hotends.com . I figured out they only add new stock at ~noon EST Friday (~5am Saturday NZ time smiling smiley I got up at 5am, but there were none available, but managed to make the order at around 11am.

I remember I made the decision that I ~needed to use 1.75mm when I was planning my machine, but I can't remember exactly why now!

From my understanding:
1.75 won’t give you better print quality, more a function of the nozzle size
It is much more expensive in NZ (diamond age anyway) than 3mm (but is around the same price for the Chinese stuff I'm currently using)
1.75mm may extrude better at faster print speeds as it can melt easier (?)

The main reason for me is that I have read that 3mm via a bowden tube does not work very well, (I need to use a bowden tube for my delta printer) but I may try play around with it after I get my current printer working smoothly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2013 10:10PM by trqtsq.
June 16, 2013 07:57AM
AHA!!! I'll try hotends.com again next week!
Thanx for the heads up on order timing.
August 25, 2013 04:20AM
I got a 40watt cartridge heater from hobbyking but I haven't tried it yet.

It's 6mm diameter x 30.26mm long which concerns me, it's a lot of heating area to keep away from the plastic in my delta arm head("effector").
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login