Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preferred brand of 'printer adhesive'? (also, hi everyone)

Posted by KLee 
Preferred brand of 'printer adhesive'? (also, hi everyone)
July 27, 2013 02:54AM
Hi everyone. I haven't posted much before, but I've been lurking before deciding to build a printer this year. Just a quick bit about me, I'm a postgrad student in Dunedin, so engineering isn't my field (health sciences). I decided to get a Makerfarm Prusa i3 with the money I scraped over summer.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has a brand of 'printer adhesive' they prefer over the others. I saw this at New World and picked it up cheap. Problem is, even with a heated bed, some of the corners are curling off the bed while using this stuff.

Re: Preferred brand of 'printer adhesive'? (also, hi everyone)
July 27, 2013 07:11AM
I'm guessing you are printing with ABS??? Nothing wrong with the brand and hopefully it doesn't smell too much.
July 27, 2013 09:43AM
Nope, printing with PLA actually... 187oC for white PLA from diamondage.

Any suggestions on how thick I should spray it down?
July 27, 2013 05:39PM
What surface are you printing onto? I print my PLA straight onto glass mirror tile (with a heated bed), and it doesn't give me any warping problems. ABS is a different story though. I find that ABS is more tricky when the ambient temperature is lower, so maybe that's contributing to making even PLA hard for Dunedinites :-).

Maybe try a test where you put a corrugated cardboard box around the printer, and see if that's enough to trap heat from the HBP to keep the ambient temp up a bit.

Cheers,
Len.
July 27, 2013 10:37PM
I agree with Lenbok. I print straight on to glass. I have also use Kapton tape which works well, both of these for PLA. Some people I know use dilute PVA with PLA and hairspray with ABS with good results. You could try making your heated bed a litlle warmer tha can help ( a little is 5 degrees).
July 28, 2013 06:30AM
Thanks for sharing your tips Len and oatridge.

I'm currently printing directly onto 3mm standard glass which has been coated in the 'adhesive' shown above. As for ambient temperatures, our flat has a heat pump set to a sweltering 18oC at the moment, but I'll try to snag a large box in the recycling bin from the lab this week.

As for the heated bed, I've been keeping it mostly off to reducing horizontal banding. PID autotune doesn't seem to work since temps are fluctuating by 2oC every time... such a pain
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login