Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer build recommendations

Posted by SLAM-ER 
Printer build recommendations
August 21, 2013 04:35AM
Hi all, my first post.

I have been using a Solidoodle 2 printer for approx 10mths. I am very happy with it and still love watching it print out tons of (mostly useless) things. smiling smiley

I am wanting to replace it with a unit that has a bigger build volume (it is currently 150x150x150mm), aiming for around 200x200x200 minimum (maybe even 300x200x200 or more if practical and not prohibitively expensive).

Having previously used the off-the-shelf/ready-made Solidoodle, I'm not sure what the best option for a self-build is, but am more than capable of printing my own parts and assembling my own unit. The designs I have been looking at are Prusa i3, or the OB Prism (however I believe this has a more limited print height) or maybe the OB1.4, mainly because I want the new printer to look cool without looking like a mechano set with a birds nest of wires tangled in. smiling smiley I want to use alu extrusions where possible (rather than threaded rods) to give it a more finished look, and have tidy/hidden wiring/electronics/power supply (happy to use a power-brick/laptop style PSU).

My wishlist is as follows:
Stylish tidy design
200x200x200 minimum build area (maybe something that can be extended to 300x200)
High print quality (down to 100micron without too much Z-banding)
Fast printing
Possibilty to upgrade to dual-extruder
Mostly printable parts or easily NZ sourceable parts (Dont want to get everything custom cut)

Can you guys throw out the name of some designs so I can do some more research (googling) to see if I can find something that ticks all the boxes?

PS> forgot to add, although I think the rostock/delta design is funky-looking, I dont like the size overhead or round build area, so I have practically ruled this option out.

Thanks
Matthew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 04:39AM by SLAM-ER.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login