Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Would anyone other than Vik like one?

Posted by VikOlliver 
Would anyone other than Vik like one?
June 17, 2009 02:48AM
I'm in possession of pretty much a complete set of printed Darwin parts, some by a Stratasys, most made by the Child with a Ponoko kit head on it, some bits of hardware & wire etc. - I want someone in NZ to build it.

Standard rules apply, so you have to pinkie promise to make two sets and pass them on to other nascent reprappers. You'll want to make a set of spare parts and will probably be building the next version as well - so it's not too hard to end up with spare kit to give away. This is why the components are a bit of a ragtag assortment smiling smiley

You'll need to get the motors, arduino/sanguino, bolts, wood, rod and so forth yourself I'm afraid. Can supply free advice, money-back guarantee smiling smiley

Any resident Kiwis up for it?

Vik :v)
Re: Would anyone other than Vik like one?
June 21, 2009 03:27AM
Will let ya know, depending on how well I go with this RepStrap out of old scanners go.

Though i'll still be needing a set of RepRapped parts for the Extruder V2 in the next few weeks.

If/when come over to the RoboNz group on a Friday, could you print those parts for me there, or would that possibly take too long?
June 21, 2009 05:12PM
Which parts? To give you an idea, a single corner block is about 4 hours of printing.

June 23, 2009 03:36AM
Ok, thats blown that idea out the window, I had estimated between 1 and 1.5 hours, assuming using Adrian's acceleration code.

How about just a demo of a mini mug?

I assume you also are using the version 2 extruder.
I'd like to make that extruder assy. While I can probably make the nozzle and thermal barrier ok, the 3 parts for holding down the PCB, the base and the drive block are out my ability to make, could you please print up for me those reprapped parts for Friday night?

I can give you some cash to pay for them
June 23, 2009 06:01AM
Not this Friday, I'm afraid. Next Friday is realistic. I've got some extruder parts done already that you can have. Will you be using 16mm or 10mm PTFE ('cos the clamp part varies)? I have some if you're short.

June 23, 2009 07:05AM
I've asked my mates at NextWindow to see if they have any lying around, I checked at my workplace, but we don't have any either of 15mm PTFE/ceramic solid rods, will let ya know.

That's cool about not this Friday, i've still gotta try out thsee stepper motors in these scanners (they didn't come with power supplies).
The first scanner used a weird stepper driver, which isn't compatible with the S/W or the motherboard (uses more pins).

I have a V1.2 stepper board, bought the kit, as I could not see any point of reinventing the wheel, the L297, L298 combo is pretty darn common.

I have a BasicX24 to hook the stepper driver to, to stream pulse trains to the driver, and i'll then find out if the stock motors are smooth and as strong enough. Using another processor, as opposed to an external timing circuit, should in theory allow me to control how much force is exerted by the stepper motor.
Hi Vik,

Myself and a crack team of rag-tag novice techies/ex-tamiya car assemblers and lego builders have recently come across the Reprap courtesy of a link on www.thepiratebay.org. Much respect to you and your team! My friends and I would like to purchase the parts to begin construction of a reprap if your offer still stands and are more than happy to adhere to your conditions of continued replication. We're based on the North Shore.
Also I must ask...have you come across www.thevenusproject.com by any chance? Based on the life-long work of Jacque Fresco, a 93 year old futurist/social designer. All about taking advantage of automation for the benefit of all. Keen to know what you think smiling smiley
Hope to hear from you soon,
Cheers
Mike
July 20, 2009 06:38AM
OK. Are you after a Darwin or the Wedge-type design? There's about $40-worth of plastic in there and it takes me a month or so to make the bits.

I think Fresco seriously underestimates the influence nanotechnology is having, BTW. With goods and services provided on tap (within your energy budget) there will be little reason to congregate in cities if you don't want to. Heck, no need to hang around this planet longer than you have to if that's your thing.

July 20, 2009 03:03PM
Is there enough of the wedge design semi finalized to start building them?
There are only a few files on the SVN, would it be possible to have the rest of the AoI/STL files on SVN?
July 20, 2009 04:59PM
The wedge design needs a little more work. Nearly there.

We'd like to go the Darwin, based on the newbie logic that there appears to be plenty of support material out there and we'll need to take advantage of that smiling smiley

Re Fresco and nanotechnology, from the Venus Project site

"The future of nanotechnology offers enormous potential. Nanotechnology combines optics and lasers, and will eventually enable us to assemble matter, atom by atom, into whatever molecular structure is needed. Nanotechnology will lead to a sub-microscopic revolution in all fields, including the way in which we conduct human affairs."

He knows it's huge! smiling smiley
July 21, 2009 05:55PM
Yeah, but with a command and control unit in every cell in your body, you need never die and can replace the need for DNA. With a test-tube full of Monte Carlo-based fabricators/testers creating and testing novel materials you'll know if there is a room temperature superconductor the next morning. It's a bigger biggie that he suspects smiling smiley

*Mike's brain instantaneously combusts upon contemplation of previous post* smiling smiley
Ok...so should we begin by obtaining the electronics and hopefully be ready for the printed parts in a month? Or can we arrange to obtain the printed parts sooner? My friends are pretty keen to take a look at a working Darwin, I don't know if it's a possibility but I do wonder what type of beer you like? smiling smiley
July 23, 2009 02:26PM
That is a good plan, then you can build up the electronics while you wait for the RepRap parts.
I am finding that it takes the USPS about 3 weeks to get a package sent over, I use priority mail, less expensive than the international express, but you still have (pathetic) parcel tracking.

What are you guys doing about the non RepRapabble parts?
Heater Barrel
Thermal Barrier
0.3mm - 0.5mm Nozzles
VDX
July 23, 2009 04:15PM
... and for the nanotech-aera: - waiting until 'serious' nanotech is out there, you should take a look and some thoughts into the direction of foglets and catoms ... maybe not in the submicron range, but at the start with dimensions of some millimetres ...

I think even some prototypes with a box-size of one centimeter will be a big challenge in the beginning >grinning smiley<

Viktor
July 23, 2009 05:22PM
First we need to build a working actuator of any size.

VDX
July 24, 2009 04:13AM
Hi Vik,

... i've developed some actuating/driving methods scalable down to submicron dimensions - the most interesting is simply a surface with embedded shear aligned fibres (e.g. carbon nanotubes winking smiley ), pressed on the counter-surface of the object to move and applying (two sorts of) mechanical oszillation.

- the first 'coarse' (or longitudinal) mode is simply with linear oszillating the surfaces, where every stroke will transport the counterpart one step further.
- the second 'fine' (or transversal) mode is when the oszillating is perpendicular to the two surfaces, so compressing waves bend/collapse the nanotube-orintation and every oszillation will move the surfaces only a small (geometrically defined) fraction of a 'coarse' step ...

For ultrasmall 'oneway' linear actuators you only need a tube with a fibre-coated inner surface, a rod as moving part and some oszillating device (e.g. a PZT-block) atached to the tube.

For reversing the direction you need two tubes with opposed orientation of the shear fibres and a method of coupling/releasing the adressed direction module.

And a method of measuring the actual position too ...

Originally i invented this driving principle for ultraflat drives assembled from two plates, a fibre-sheet and an oszillating device - here ( *** Edit: damn, the server is down *** ) you can see two demonstrators in a 'moving still' and the active surface.

Viktor

*** Edit: when home again, i'll post some images of the 'toys' ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2009 04:20AM by VDX.
VDX
July 24, 2009 04:30AM
... OK, found the images on our CNC-server:

1. Mechanical 'mover' - a simple linear actuator with two oszillating surfaces coatet with shear orientated nylon fibres

2. Pneumatic mover - the same but smaller with a piston-oszillator

3. The bases with the fibre-sheets

Viktor
Attachments:
open | download - Mover1-mechanical.jpg (45.5 KB)
open | download - Mover2-pneumatic.jpg (48.1 KB)
open | download - Fibre-sheet.jpg (58.3 KB)
July 24, 2009 07:37PM
That looks kinda printable...

hi vik

Are you still making parts

riper |
May 09, 2010 10:33PM
Yes, making Simplified Mendel parts plus things like extruder barrels, gears, belts etc. Mindkits.co.nz is supplying them with the complete kit.

hi vik

how much are the parts that you make

riper
May 12, 2010 05:36PM
Spot price is NZ$250 (+GST for local orders)

Kiwis here just itching to get into this reprap carryon.

We are a new Christian Charity started by Kiwis and we would dearly love one of these machines even if we have to build it ourselves. I can't believe we have this in NZ!
Ka Pai!!

We want to get involved right now...immediately.

We live at Mount Maunganui and have engineering ability so we are very interested in owning one of these.

Where do we start?
June 27, 2010 02:47PM
I've been checking out progress every so often but been a while since I posted. Perhaps I should start a new topic but it seems it'll fit here too. What sort of cost range is it currently go get a Mendel up from scratch presuming you're willing to wait & look around for parts, beg someone to provide you with the plastic stuff etc? Well it'll still be quite variable depending on how you make it (which'll depend on your capabilities, time and toolset) but is around $750 about there? The website says [reprap.org] EUR 350 or US$520 so given this is NZ it sounds like it'll be something like that.

It doesn't seem mindkits have the complete kit available yet that'll give an idea of the upper bound

Edit: Oops should have looked at the webpage more carefully. Found [reprap.org] which gives a rough idea of the costs for the UK. I guess things will be roughly similar here although I'd still be interested in a similar rough costing for NZ. I can of course do one myself but I wonder if anyone making one or thinking of has already done so.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 03:00PM by Nil Einne.
July 12, 2010 05:30PM
I have sets of printed parts and the filament in various colours. Can also help with things like extruder barrels, PTFE rod, drive gear and belt sets etc. The rest of it is pretty much off-the-shelf. I suggest you look at the Mendel design on reprap.org, specifically the "Simplified Mendel" and then give me a shout.

Oh, and get an Arduino and start playing with it.

July 25, 2010 07:04AM
Hi There

I'm looking at building a Mendel, and was wondering if you could sell me a complete set of printed parts (the simplified versions), and if so, how much would it cost me? And do you have any idea on how much it would cost to ship to Christchurch?

- Pauli
August 30, 2010 01:26AM
Hi

I want to put one of these guys together and start printing, this year hopefully.
I can handle all the electronics myself, but need the custom mechanical parts.
So who can sell me a set?
I live in Auckland, so local would be better.

Thanks
August 30, 2010 11:00PM
i am interested.

jason
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login