Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to this

Posted by Sbrett23 
New to this
September 23, 2013 07:21AM
Hi there I have been lurking for a couple of weeks, I am looking to put a rep rap together at this stage I am looking at a Prusa I2 ( from what I have read the I3 seems to go out of calibration a lot).
Is there anyone out there (possibly in Christchurch cause I would love to check out your printer!) who would be willing to print of plastics for me (let me know how much you want too!)

Thanks in advance.

Brett
Re: New to this
September 24, 2013 09:49AM
Or if you could point me in the direction of someone who sells decent quality plastics, thanks.
September 25, 2013 01:39AM
re I3, I don't know where you get your information from but consider this:

The electronics are the same as a I2, the firmware is the same and the i2, the linear motion parts (rods and bearings) are the same as a I2, the belts and pulleys are the same as a I2... only the frame is different. The I3 is much easier to make sure the X,Y and Z are all at 90 degrees from each other and has strength in the X axis, the I2 has practically none in this axis.

So where do you see "I3 seems to go out of calibration a lot" differences?

I'm also in chch, and have a Prusa I2, I3, MM1.5 and a rostock* (MM is being upgraded to 24v so is currently in pieces, rostock needs a print head)

I used to print I2 parts, but I'm sticking to I3 now, less parts, less issues.
September 25, 2013 02:34AM
Couple of comments I read on the forum. I 'spose it may have been individuals with machine issues. So you would go the I3 path (given that you have both I figure you are probably one of the best people to ask?).

Love the look of the Rostock printing but I think the Mendel would be best first build.

What type of frame do you have on the I3? Any recommendations on the plastics?
September 25, 2013 02:58AM
Mendel is better as first printer... delta is a tricky to debug with everything moving at once.

I went for a Aluminium plate type.

My I3

Plastics, I would go for the standard I3 box plastics (even if you go for a plate option, it is configurable for a plate also)
The ones in the image are original plate plastics. Main limitation is that there is no belt tensioners, which is useful, but not essential.
September 25, 2013 03:16AM
Hi Dust thanks for you response, I assume you printed off all your plastics.
It looks really sharp I think I'll look more into the i3.
Where'd you get the plate? I assume you printed you own plastics.
September 25, 2013 03:24AM
Yes its my own plastics.

My own plate also, I had 10 made. Down to 2 left. But only selling them with a partial kit.
September 25, 2013 03:30AM
How much is in the kit and what is the dollar figure very interested.
September 25, 2013 04:53AM
Sent you a PM with lots of details.
September 25, 2013 05:01AM
Awesome have just checked it out. Very keen, just about to convince the missus, wish me luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login