Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone in the Nelson area?

Posted by bobwomble 
Anyone in the Nelson area?
September 23, 2013 07:33AM
Not sure if this is the right place for this message, so I apologise in advance,

I will be in the Nelson area during the first week of October, and would be interested in meeting up with any RepRapers in the area for a yarn and swap ideas etc.

I have had my scratch built printer up and running for over a year now and am almost finished a rostock build.
I have been using my own hotends and would be very interested to see prints from a commercial hotend.

Some of what ive been doing is here, but out of date.
[www.thingiverse.com]

Also it would just be nice to meet up with fellow RepRappers.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 07:33AM by bobwomble.
Re: Anyone in the Nelson area?
October 03, 2013 12:49AM
Sorry - only just read this. I am in the Nelson area but I am also in the process of moving house so my entire elvish workshop is in storage along with the three printers I currently have on the go. So nothing to show you this trip, maybe next time you are in the area.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
October 11, 2013 01:27AM
Gidday Wired1,
Thanks for your reply,

Im back home now in sunny central, and have been toiling away in my dungeon as i had withdrawl symptoms from being away for a week,
Just found your post, I hope the house move goes well, and you get your elvish workshop set up soon.
November 15, 2013 04:34AM
Back up a running in Richmond now. I am still unpacking printer parts but have a new printer in the design stage, should have a print volume of 300x300x300 smiling smiley Anyone local pm me for a catch up.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
November 16, 2013 03:37PM
Hi Wired1 good to see you back in action and not sitting idle. I am embarking on a similar project, I have the basic frame built. I've used misumi type extrusion but ex China. Good quality but the center hole is for 6mm rather than 5mm screws. It does make corner joins more solid but other thins are a little difficult. I may have some bits of interest. I have also use open build V slot extrusion for runners.
November 20, 2013 04:56PM
Thanks Oatridge, my chinese extrusion arrived yesterday and sounds like the same stuff you are using. I used it to build a mendel max a year ago and the centre hole was the only problem I had with it.
I am working on a cartesian-style machine which will be about 600 deep and 500 or so wide and the same high. I have somw 12mm ball screws coming for the z-axis and will use either belts or steel wire for the x and y axes. I want to have all the motors, power supply, LCD and electronics inside the frame so that it can be enclosed - plus it would make it easier to transport.
I have some high quality 16mm linear rod I will use for the y axis so that will be virtually unbendable over the longer travel. I will use 10mm rods for the z and x axes.
This printer will use some printed parts but will also use as many commercially available fittings as possible for the rod ends, and frame corners to make it easier to build and more rigid.
I'll start a thread when I get to the building stage, have you got any photos of what you are building?

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
November 21, 2013 03:59AM
Well no photos yet, but I should be able to put something together shortly. We seem to be going down the same philosophical road but in different directions. I will end up with at least 300x300x300 build, possibly a bit more. I am using open build extrusion as the runners so interested to see how linear this works out. So far it is very smooth. I am using belts for X and Y but with the intention of going to ball screws later. I also am looking at a complete enclosure with everything within the frame, maybe with some sort of simple environment heat control as well.The 20mm V rail is pretty rid over the 400mm distance it travels. Still to decide on Bowden or travelling extruder. Easy enough to change between them. I also have gone withcommercial parts with only a small number of printed brackets, mountings etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login