Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Experience Prusa i3

Posted by hennezzy 
Experience Prusa i3
April 08, 2014 03:35PM
Hi Guys,

First post, but looking to build a prusa i3, how much experience and knowledge would i need to build one ?

Could I just buy one from [3dprinterczar.com] and watch youtube to build it?

Sorry about all the noob questions! But really keen on starting
Re: Experience Prusa i3
April 08, 2014 07:08PM
what kind of things have you built before?
mostly if you buy a kit it tends to be a matter of assembling, and there are a lot of youtube videos to show you how to do it. the electronics and wiring diagrams can be a little confusing, but if you've ever assembled soemthing like a PC before it's on about that level, for the RAMPS board in the kit you are looking at, all pins should be labled and it's just a matter of matching the pins to the part you need to connect.
when it comes to calibration and tuning that is a bit more complicated, I havent gotten to that part yet, so I will let someone else comment on that.
April 09, 2014 05:12AM
hennezzy
Hi Guys,

First post, but looking to build a prusa i3, how much experience and knowledge would i need to build one ?

Could I just buy one from [3dprinterczar.com] and watch youtube to build it?

Sorry about all the noob questions! But really keen on starting

Where in NZ are you?

April 09, 2014 05:10PM
Im in Auckland
August 13, 2014 12:15PM
My friend and I built an i3 from scratch (vs a kit).
I detailed the build on Instructables:
[www.instructables.com]

We are getting great prints from it.

Steve
August 17, 2014 01:29AM
A group of us in Auckland built a number of I3 Prusa from scratch. it's not that hard. We have one laser cut I3 frame and Y table left over from the group build. You could have it for $85, I was about to put it on trademe for a bit more. There are a numeber of other bits left over from a bulk buy as well. Most everything you need is available locally or from Ebay and the build is quite easy. Once you have it up and running there is a degree of tuning to get best results but this is the case for all but the pre-assembled printers. Even they can benefit from a little tweek or two. DM me if you are interested. How is your soldering and wiring ability? You will need to put plugs on the end of leads fro the stepper motors etc. so a bit of soldering ability would be good. There are a number of options onm the I3 build, mainly improvements that the community as a whole has applied and the final result is a pretty stable well worked out product capable of excellent results.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login