Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hamilton Build

Posted by thorburn 
Hamilton Build
April 12, 2014 01:58AM
Hi all,
I'm very new to this and i'm hoping to get advice before I run into headaches.
What I want is the greatest accuracy, the least maintenance and for as cheap as possible. Listed in order of importance

Currently i've got the following:
Electronics
Freaduino Mega2560 (Max.support 2A)
3D printer ramps shield v1.4 and A4988 stepsticks
3 x Mech endstop v1.4
3.1″ LCD smart controller board with LCD2004
PCB heatbed MK2a
5x Nema17 78 oz/inch with 2x gt2 pulleys and belts

Frame and mechanical
5mm threaded rod with bearings
8mm threaded rod
Plenty of fasteners

Need to buy
lm8uu - [www.aliexpress.com]
8mm smooth rod - trade tools
hot end - I'm not sure what I want or if I should try make my own
extruder - Again i've got no idea what to go for
profile cut pieces for I3 - Once I decide what I want I'll send it out to get cut
connectors for endstops and steppers
i3 parts - if someone will sell them for a decent price. Would anyone print me some in exchange for a roll of plastic?If that fails i'll have a go at making them in metal
Cooling fans - Maybe import
Power unit - Just started looking for something suitable on trademe. Not sure what is good or bad
And some other stuff that is hopefully inexpensive

Original thoughts are to make a prusa i3 (i'm open to other options).

Any and all advice welcomed.
I'm no
Re: Hamilton Build
April 12, 2014 04:02AM
for cooling fans, yup import em from somewhere like aliexpress 4-6$ instead of $20+ if you buy local.
for power supply you want one that has 30amps on the 12v rail, if you want to use a heated bed. without heated bed 16 amps will do.
for a pc power supply to have 30amp 12v rail you are generally looking at 450watt plus, this is because most budget pc's need more 5v amps than 12v.

what are you using for your frame?
if you use 10mm instead of 8mm for the y axis long threaded rods you will have a sturdier printer.
what side of hamilton you on, there are about three other hamiltonians around including myself.
April 13, 2014 02:40AM
I'm back and forth between Frankton and Hamilton east
Cheers for the tips. I'll make some orders and scavenge some m10 bits
How much should i be expecting to spend on a power supply? used should be fine
April 13, 2014 04:29AM
I spent $5 at the resource recovery park on a PC power supply - been good as gold!

April 15, 2014 03:24AM
Just picked up a few pieces of 8mm stainless rod (offcut freebies). Looks straight to my eyes. Hopefully this isn't frowned upon. Once I get some pieces together i'll test with a dti.
Ordering lm8uu bearings and fans tonight
April 15, 2014 06:18AM
not sure about the smooth rod. i haven't tried to use it yet so i don't know if you will see a difference, from what i have been told. stainless will work but its tolerance is not the same as the proper stuff this lack of precision can lead to less accurate prints?
also stainless is not hardened to the same degree and your linear bearings will work groves into the rod over time. but hey, you got it for free, you can try it And if you dont like it grab something else to try. there are others out there printing on worse i'm sure
April 15, 2014 07:54AM
yes will cause grooves in the SS

worse ive seen is hollow aluminium rods... (not accurate, and you cant run lm8uu on them)
Ive slso seen someone trying carbon fibre rods... not sure how long that will last, also not very accurate.
April 17, 2014 08:18PM
cheers, zerker and dust. I'll make the frame with it and have a go to start out.
As I mentioned at the start accuracy and low maintenance is the most important thing so I will get the proper smooth rod.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login