Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any NZ reprapers having taken on either a Guy Simpson or Wally builds? smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by Harleym 
Any NZ reprapers having taken on either a Guy Simpson or Wally builds? smiling bouncing smiley
May 29, 2014 08:00PM
I so enjoyed putting my Kossel Mini together & now I'm hooked....

So now looking for my next project & am eyeing up the Guy Simpson & Wally builds as future projects. I'm not sure if I'm capable of completing the challenge but I'm sure it'll be fun trying. At this stage I'd like to hear from anyone NZ based who may have advise to offer & possibly give assistance if needed. The international forums have a lot of great info but there's nothing like talking to a "bloke down the road" to get real insight.
Re: Any NZ reprapers having taken on either a Guy Simpson or Wally builds? smiling bouncing smiley
May 31, 2014 10:03PM
I'm now thinking the Wally build will be the safest option when considering the relative maturity of their development, the build quality they can aspire to & the build volume they are capable of. I will be wanting to go with something that can print in 3mm filament which has a definite cost advantage down the track. Apparently the Wally can even produce parts that are bigger than it's own so a scaled up version may even be possible.

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Any NZ reprapers having taken on either a Guy Simpson or Wally builds? smiling bouncing smiley
June 01, 2014 04:24AM
Any particular reason you didn't go for the Prusa i3 or perhaps a Mendel 90?
Where in NZ are you?

June 01, 2014 11:12PM
Any particular reason you didn't go for the Prusa i3 or perhaps a Mendel 90?
Where in NZ are you?... Waitaki

I'm in Kerikeri & not 100% on either the Gus or Wally. Perhaps I should go with something that has a greater chance of success based on the amount of support & previous successful outcomes...

The Gus & Wally builds still appear to be very experimental but what I like about them is the quantity of printable parts (& the lack of any other materials). Essentially apart from the usual electronics, they are just a cut plate, printed parts & bearings. No sliders & rails! Once up & working, I would hope that it should be relatively easy to replicate cheaply. The real work appears to be done in the software & perhaps this is where they fall down, but tech advances in processor speeds & capabilities is only going to get better & as long as there is a dedicated following, this can only improve.

I'll do a bit more reading before I commit completely & I would like to know that there are local resources to call upon if I get stuck. As you point out, the Prusa i3 & Mendel do have that in abundance. Working away for the couple of weeks will give me time to read & think about things.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login