Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NZ Reprap Parts Sourcing guide

Posted by RepRot 
Re: NZ Reprap Parts Sourcing guide
August 18, 2011 03:51PM
atlas steel is pretty good for the rod, and i think dust is got his nozzle from makerbot
August 18, 2011 11:57PM
From makergear, not makerbot.
[www.makergear.com]
August 24, 2011 03:03AM
I have now been able to source everything I need apart from a extruder nozzle

August 24, 2011 05:58PM
The 8mm dia ss smooth rods can be sourced from any good commercial drill supply shop. Its refered to as "silver steel" and supplied in 3, 6 and 9 foot lengths. I have recently purchased 3 foot lengths from www.drillstapsdies.co.nz in Christchurch. They had 2 X 3 foot lengths in stock and i only had to wait a day for the 3rd length. Price 17.89 +gst per length. I think they are also supplied by mico metals but did not bother checking this time round.

Just purchased a hot end from www.makergear.com as per "dust's" suggestion above. Order is in the post.

Hey struggling to source "sanguinololu kit" from www.emakershop.com. They are out of stock, and each time i request more, others around the world seem to snap them up before the nz time zone kicks in. Bugger being in this part of the world...!

Anyone got a sanguinololu 1.3 kit with bootlogger up for grabs.
cheers
August 24, 2011 06:47PM
I haven't looked into it yet but I was thinking of trying to get the Sanguinololu boards made in NZ and then source the components. Would anyone be keen to go in on this or know of a good circuit board manufacturer?
August 24, 2011 07:44PM
You guys should get online to the reprap IRC channel, lots of help there..

If you know IRC here are the details irc://freenode/Reprap

Or you can just use the web interface [webchat.freenode.net]
August 25, 2011 04:53PM
I have sanguinololu bare boards for sale. I will be making up the ones I need and selling the surplus ones here my stepsons website or visit my trademe page

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 03:18AM by NelsonRap.

September 07, 2011 06:55AM
Hey there,

Do you know if anyone is selling rep raps??

Regards,

Mark
September 07, 2011 04:46PM
Mark Dillon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey there,
>
> Do you know if anyone is selling rep raps??
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

Check back with me at the end of September, looking into it and pricing up a full Prusa kit for supply at the moment since no one else is doing it

September 07, 2011 05:46PM
hey. yes potentially very soon in fact.

after building our Prusa, a few high schools in the area have expressed interest in having us build some for them.
we are looking at building them over the Christmas holidays for about 800 to 1000 depending on how good the machine is, ie lower ongoing maintenance and such. PM me if your interested and i can get back to you when we start to get things sorted out
October 04, 2011 02:32AM
I will have my first Prusa available at the end of the month, then I will know how feasible it is to offer kits. The first one will be fully built as that is the only way I could work out costs and time needed, it is also the version that uses linear bearings and not bushes.

I have had to re design some of the parts as the bearings were slightly bigger than what the available drawings were for. Images can be found here [picasaweb.google.com]

October 05, 2011 03:56PM
diamondage.co.nz now also supplying (made on request) M6 brass heater barrels, nozzles, PTFE insulators etc. and will do hot end kits complete with thermistor (PTFE insulator, M6 brass barrel, 4 ohm element in fire cement, 100K thermistor and nozzle to suit). People seem to have trouble with this bit, so I'm doing the hard parts smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 03:59PM by VikOlliver.
October 05, 2011 07:02PM
That's good to know Vik, I went round some of the engineering shops in Nelson and no one was interested in making them. How much will they cost?

I got 2 from England for the first 2 kits I'm making up which will be advertised on www.acronum.com

October 22, 2011 09:00PM
I've got a preliminary pricing of NZ$55 for the parts of either a Wade or direct-drive excluding the motor, awaiting clamp and tape seals (a bit more if you want me to hob a Wade drive shaft for you). They're made by me on the workbench with hand tools, so they're not always things of beauty smiling smiley

I'm not making any profit at that price though - mostly I do it so I can sell more people filament!

Vik :v)
October 22, 2011 09:04PM
Dunno if you could update that list to mention that Diamond Age are now supplying model helicopter drive belts with free gears?
November 06, 2011 05:50PM
Can you ask Diamond Age to update their website? winking smiley

As for sourcing the Pololu's locally(ish), it seems that robotgear.com.au won't ship to NZ anymore (that's where Dust sourced his)

Robot Gear Sales
at the moment we are not shipping outside of Australia. Sorry we can't send them to you.

But robokits.co.nz may be the solution from now on:

robokits.co.nz
I have available:

The A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier with Voltage Regulators for
$28.95 each. Also the A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier for 19.95
each (This one is similar but does not have the voltage regulators).

Add 4.50 for standard courier service or 9.00 if your address is
rural.

They are not on Robokits' website yet but you can purchase, just send
me an email and I'll forward banking details.

Pass on the word to other Reprap makers you know if you can!
November 07, 2011 02:32AM
Grrr I need money as I can source stuff easily jsut short of the ready cash to get my stock levels up.

[www.acronum.com]

November 12, 2011 03:56AM
I'd love to buy a kit with everything needed for a Prusa, because assembling one I don't mind, but sourcing all the parts, well, I'm a bit lazy in that regard!
November 12, 2011 06:51PM
Sent a private message

Lord Booga Wrote:
> I'd love to buy a kit with everything needed for a
> Prusa, because assembling one I don't mind, but
> sourcing all the parts, well, I'm a bit lazy in
> that regard!

November 15, 2011 05:11PM
Can someone please add '(Note: Stocks Nichrome wire but is un-insulated). ' to South Island Component Centre too?

$5.45 +gst for 4m.

[www.sicom.co.nz]
November 16, 2011 01:07AM
I have just sold my first complete Prusa kit and hope to have a couple more ready before Christmas. They have everything in one box just needs assembling and then calibrating and your all good to print.

Gary
Website here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 01:09AM by NelsonRap.

December 13, 2011 05:23PM
I got my Prusa kit from these guys: [mixshop.ca]. Almost finished it, just need to wait for PLA to test it smiling smiley

Pretty reasonable I must say. Good if you don't have the time to source all the parts yourself. Only thing is that ground shipping did take a while. If you can't wait, get air though it is quite costly for heavy items. They offer alot of other miscellaneous parts (the linear bearings are stepper motors are at a pretty good price).

Check it out
December 13, 2011 06:47PM
Ming Wrote:
> I got my Prusa kit from these guys:
> [mixshop.ca]. Almost finished it, just need
> to wait for PLA to test it smiling smiley
>
> Pretty reasonable I must say. Good if you don't
> have the time to source all the parts yourself.
> Only thing is that ground shipping did take a
> while. If you can't wait, get air though it is
> quite costly for heavy items. They offer alot of
> other miscellaneous parts (the linear bearings are
> stepper motors are at a pretty good price).
>
> Check it out

I checked them out, according to their site the full kit excludes plastics parts, surely that's wrong?

I will be stocking Aluminium 10 tooth T5 gears in the New Year

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2011 06:48PM by NelsonRap.

December 15, 2011 10:57PM
NelsonRap Wrote:
> Ming Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I got my Prusa kit from these guys:
> > [mixshop.ca]. Almost finished it, just
> need
> > to wait for PLA to test it smiling smiley
> >
> > Pretty reasonable I must say. Good if you don't
> > have the time to source all the parts yourself.
> > Only thing is that ground shipping did take a
> > while. If you can't wait, get air though it is
> > quite costly for heavy items. They offer alot
> of
> > other miscellaneous parts (the linear bearings
> are
> > stepper motors are at a pretty good price).
> >
> > Check it out
>
> I checked them out, according to their site the
> full kit excludes plastics parts, surely that's
> wrong?
>
> I will be stocking Aluminium 10 tooth T5 gears in
> the New Year

Indeed. I think all of their "complete" or "full" kits mean everything except printed parts. Basically, they stock all the vitamins. For me, the "Complete Prusa Hardware Set" (nuts, bolts, rods, bearings,washers) was the most useful as I could source the electronics easy enough and printed my plastic parts using the school's reprap. It definitely saved alot of time running around and prevented purchasing more than I needed to (since some of these things come in large quantity packs). The only downside was that the international shipping cost was quite high as the package was 3.8kg :/

Maybe you could do something like that as well? I'm not sure how viable it is from a business perspective though or if there are others in a similar situation to me.
December 16, 2011 02:49PM
Yes I'm about to start doing hardware packs as well just sorting out pricing on the various parts and will be launching that side after Christmas. I run my business as a secondary it's not my main job more of a hobby business for now.

Acronum

July 06, 2012 02:11AM
I've just started getting all the parts together for my build and have found a few good places in Auckland.

Steelmaster: all the nuts/bolts/washers came to under $100, and they have some pretty sweet service, just hand over the list and they'll come back with the box of goods. I dropped my list of, picked all the goods up the next day. They have a website too, which claims free delivery, but I haven't tried that. These guys are a local manufacturer/distributor, so buying from them supports the local economy and all that.

Pacific Bearings: haven't gotten the bearins yet, but these guys import all shapes and sizes. They have stock of 608(quoted me $2/608), but not cheap 624s, they are currently looking into importing some though. I have not asked about the linear bearing the Pursa.

I got the 8mm threaded rod from trademe, forgot how much it cost, but it was very reasonable.

8mm smooth rod was a little harder to find, but after calling around some engineering supply shops, I found some for $3.8 a meter. I've forgoten the name of the place, but I'll post it if I remember.

Unfortunatly I had to order the electronics and belts from overseas(200nzd) as no one does them here at a decent price.

So I think my total build price will be around $500, which is a lot better than those kit offeres.
July 06, 2012 04:34PM
I have T5 belt and matching aluminium T5 10 tooth pulleys to match on my website, as well as most other parts needed including smooth rod cut to length

July 07, 2012 01:05AM
At rediculous prices.

Just looking at the rod set, I got my smooth rod for around $10 and the threaded rod for 20-30(can't remember) including shipping. So you charge $60 to $70 for cutting/services. A little too much in my opinion.

Then there is the electronics, you have Sanguinololu 1.3A bare board for $15, yet you can get seeduino to make and ship 10 of those boards for about 30USD.

I haven't checked out the other things, but considering this pattern, I would guess the markups on the other products are the same.

It's cool that you're making loads of money of people who are lazy and don't want to go and find things in the real world, but you're using an open source project, to which people have contributed thousands hours of work and that's not cool.
July 07, 2012 05:36PM
dkedr Wrote:
> At rediculous prices.
>
> Just looking at the rod set, I got my smooth rod
> for around $10 and the threaded rod for
> 20-30(can't remember) including shipping. So you
> charge $60 to $70 for cutting/services. A little
> too much in my opinion.
>
> Then there is the electronics, you have
> Sanguinololu 1.3A bare board for $15, yet you can
> get seeduino to make and ship 10 of those boards
> for about 30USD.
>
> I haven't checked out the other things, but
> considering this pattern, I would guess the
> markups on the other products are the same.
>
> It's cool that you're making loads of money of
> people who are lazy and don't want to go and find
> things in the real world, but you're using an open
> source project, to which people have contributed
> thousands hours of work and that's not cool.

Um by the time I have driven to buy the parts spent time cutting them, cleaning them up making sure everything is perfect my prices are pretty standard and sine I personally contacted Adrian Bowyer to ask about selling stuff and got told go ahead I don't see what your problem is.

yes some people do prefer to buy themselves others don't if you look overseas my prices are very competitive considering I have done all the hard work of sourcing everything. But it won't matter as soon we are selling up and moving on to new projects

July 07, 2012 10:16PM
NelsonRap Wrote:
> Um by the time I have driven to buy the parts
> spent time cutting them, cleaning them up making
> sure everything is perfect my prices are pretty
> standard and sine I personally contacted Adrian
> Bowyer to ask about selling stuff and got told go
> ahead I don't see what your problem is.
>
> yes some people do prefer to buy themselves others
> don't if you look overseas my prices are very
> competitive considering I have done all the hard
> work of sourcing everything. But it won't matter
> as soon we are selling up and moving on to new
> projects

Ripping of new comers to the project is the problem. People first look around for full kits, and estimate the price of the whole project from that, and you have the full kit for $1.2K. If that person is a student, they aren't gonna have that kind of money lying around, so they will abandon the project.

If I look overseas I can get the pursa kit shipped for about 800nzd. Considering that includes 100USD of postage your prices are not competitive at all.

I also don't see what's hard about going for a short drive and then getting on the hacksaw for a few minutes. Unless an hour of your time costs $60-$70.

And it's not your selling of reprap parts that I have a problem with, it's the markup that bothers me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login