Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel 90 (?) build.

Posted by clogs51 
Mendel 90 (?) build.
September 21, 2014 03:19AM
Hi all.I'm considering the Mendel 90 as my first 3d printer build.I notice some reference to a "sturdy".Is this an updated version of the mendel 90,or a completely new ,separate printer?
I'm currently not in a position to buy the whole kit,so I'm planning to buy the required pieces when i can.
Where do i find the location of all the holes on the sheet parts?
Is anyone in nz printing the plastic parts for sale?
I will get the electronics from alixpress,hobbyking,etc.Is there a list which explains exactly what i need?
I know that;s an awful lot of questions for my first post,but I've spent the last week trawling the net for 3d printing info.
Needless to say,i'm suffering somewhat from information overload.As I won't see 60 again,that's a problem for this older braingrinning smiley
Thanks for any info received.
Hans.
Re: Mendel 90 (?) build.
September 21, 2014 04:15AM
Hans,

There's few "gotchas" that I can help with, having built one from self sourced parts..not a kit.

Check your pm.

Cheers.
September 21, 2014 04:59PM
Three of us built M90's recently. Have a look at this topic to see how it went and some advice.
[forums.reprap.org]

Not sure what advice you got in the PM but here's the Wiki, there's some good info like a build manual and links. [reprap.org]

Here's a link to the BOM for the standard version. This is on the Github where all the files are stored.
[github.com]

There's also a forum just for the M90, great for specific advice. Here's better for part sourcing in NZ advice though.
[forums.reprap.org]

The sturdy is a version that uses 10mm rods rather than the more standard 8mm.

Hope this helps.
September 28, 2014 10:55PM
Having had a good look at parts cost,I decided I'd get a complete kit like this:
[www.aliexpress.com]
I might have saved 50-100 bucks buying parts myself,but I was not confident that i could marry them all together,and get a working printer at the end.
It'll be wait and see to gauge the quality of this kit.Projected shiping time is 5-10 days,so I'll clear a space on the benchsmiling smiley
September 29, 2014 06:07PM
you know, I actually like the look of that, there are some things I cant see that would concern me, what board are they using? what is the extruder and hotend design? that power supply quality?

otherwise good luck with the build, let us know how it goes
September 29, 2014 06:25PM
I know there is no detailed information about the parts you mention,zerker,and the power supply doesn't worry me.
I have a server power supply ready,which will give plenty of power for this sort of use.
There's a chap on trade me selling them.A little bit of soldering is required to make them start,
but i'm sure if you can build a 3d printer,you can do a bit of soldering.
October 14, 2014 03:30AM
Received the printer kit today.First impressions are favourable,although 1 acrylic z-axis motor side bracket was broken in transit.I've emailed the seller for a replacement part.
Rods appear to be nice chrome steel,and straight.The threaded rod looks vaguely like SS,but i can't be sure.Some stainnless steel varieties are magnetic,so who knows?
The acrylic pieces appear to be cnc cut.Nice job.
I have no idea what type the extruder is,but the assembly looks straight forward enough.An "assembly manual" is provided on cd,as well as some software.
There are separate build instructions for the basic frame,so i printed off both sets for reference
A 20A power supply is provided.How good it is,only time will tell i guess.
There is only 1 electronic board,a Melzi Ardentissimo board.Everything appears to connect to that,so maybe that,s all i need.
The small socket cap screws are all in separate marked bags,and the bigger M8 stuff in another baggie.I will transfer all this stuff to some lidded containers,as the baggies don't look very strong.
All in all,i was quite pleasantly surprised.The parts appear to be reasonably good quality,and the packaging in shaped foam layers was nicely done.
Unfortunately,something very heavy must have been stacked on top of the box,as it was badly dented on top.I believe that,s how the acrylic piece got broken.
I don't blame the supplier,this was down to DHL.BTW,it took 10 days from the date the box was shipped.No problem with customs or anything.
According to our delivery guy,i was lucky,as he said 3d printers usually get clobbered by customs.
I almost forgot,there is also a spool holder,using 2 pieces of acrylic and a piece of threaded rod,nuts,etc.And a small coil of PINK 1.75mm filament.
So,here then a few pics of the stuff after unpacking.
Obviously ,Ben the cat felt it was his duty to test the comfort qualities of the foam packaging.
I'll start the fun part tomorrow,putting things together.
Attachments:
open | download - pr7.jpg (141.5 KB)
open | download - pr6.jpg (126.9 KB)
open | download - pr5.jpg (285.8 KB)
open | download - pr4.jpg (490.3 KB)
open | download - pr3.jpg (490.3 KB)
open | download - pr2.jpg (278.6 KB)
open | download - extr.jpg (512.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login