Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help with stepper motor and RAMPS 1.4

Posted by Mario Munoz 
Need help with stepper motor and RAMPS 1.4
September 28, 2014 06:58PM
Hi there, i'm new to 3D printers and i'm about to build one, for the electronics I'm going to use Arduino Mega and RAMPS 1.4, for the motors I'll use 17HS4401 stepper motors(I've alredy ordered them), but for what I've read this motors work with 1.7A and i was wondering, how am I supossed to wire the Z axis if I want to use 2 motors for it? If i put them in parallel they will draw more current that the pololu drivers can take, and i don't know how to wire them in series or if they would work like that. I hope someone can help me. I'll attach the motor specs.

-Sorry for my english, it's not my native language spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Attachments:
open | download - temp2.0x0.jpg (62.1 KB)
Re: Need help with stepper motor and RAMPS 1.4
September 28, 2014 08:16PM
The Mendel90 has a nice diagram on p66 of how to wire them in series:

[github.com]
September 28, 2014 08:51PM
So if I'm using the A4988 drivers and i'm inputing 12V to the ramps a simple motor recives 12V per phase, then if I put two of them in series each one is going to recive 6 volts?
Attachments:
open | download - mendel90.png (33.1 KB)
September 28, 2014 09:06PM
I run a CoreXY printer using Funduino Mega2560, RAMPS 1.4 with Pololu drivers pushing THREE 1.7A motors on the z-axis lifting 700x400x6mm sheet of tempered glass. Not a light load but it runs perfectly, sounds good and doesn't get hot so you should be fine with two motors. Tuning the drivers using a multimeter worked much better than feeling out the current. Pololu stepper driver board was my starting point however I think I googled and found much easier instructions online.
September 28, 2014 09:19PM
Series doesn't sound right to me. The motors need to be wired in parallel so they both still get 12v. The current drawn from the Pololu driver would be higher to power the two motors.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2014 09:27PM by AgentX.
September 29, 2014 10:23PM
Serial vs Parallel:
[forums.reprap.org]

RepRap Pro also recommend series:
Also see: [reprappro.com]
September 29, 2014 10:45PM
Thanks a lot, now i just have to wait for my motors to arrive smiling bouncing smiley
October 02, 2014 12:45AM
Very interesting links Lenbok. I was under the impression the correct voltage was most important, not so much the amps. Learnt that from trying to jump start a car off 2 x 12v batteries in series once. Smokey starter motor sad smiley
H'mmm - I'm getting an urge to rewire my z-axis though it aint broke grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login