Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Melzi version 2.0 replacement

Posted by vicvega77 
Melzi version 2.0 replacement
January 18, 2015 07:46AM
I need to replace my melzi version 2.0 circuit board, I'm terrible at soldiering. Should a go to a small appliance repair place and ask them to do it for me? When installed how do I endow it with the right setup for the printer?

Another question is how do I find out what printer I have, I got it off trademe. I have a feeling I may need to replacement the nozzle part but I can't find any markings on it to signify what part it is, so I don't know how to find it.

If anyone could Skype or something so I could run through my problems that I'm having with the printer then I would be happy to compensate their time through PayPal or something. At the moment I have a useless piece of machinery.

Thanks for your help
Re: Melzi version 2.0 replacement
January 18, 2015 03:11PM
When you say replacement,do you mean repair?I had a Melzi board burn out the mosfet,and didn't find it worth the trouble fixing it.
I replaced mine with a ramps electronic package.
Are you able to post a photo or two?That would help a lot with identification of your machine and the nozzle.
If you could mention your location,there might be someone near you to help you out.
January 18, 2015 04:07PM
please post pictures of your printer.
especially the cold end of our extruder, hotends are a common part that you should be able to replace with any of the popular ones, what will determin this is how the hotend attaches to the coldend.
if a Jhead or E3D or something simmilar can slide right in then thats the easist thing to fix.

for your electronics, you havent said what it is that you need to solder or why?
and something like a RAMPS is a nice replacement for electronics if a replacement is required.

Pics will get you a lot of help, and then we may ask for measurements, do you have a vernier calliper?
January 19, 2015 03:52AM
clogs51
When you say replacement,do you mean repair?I had a Melzi board burn out the mosfet,and didn't find it worth the trouble fixing it.
I replaced mine with a ramps electronic package.
Are you able to post a photo or two?That would help a lot with identification of your machine and the nozzle.
If you could mention your location,there might be someone near you to help you out.

I'm living in Linwood, Christchurch. I'm replacing the melzi board because while EQC was fixing up the cracks they stood on the USB connection and tore it off the circuit board (it also has the mini sd card option but that doesn't seem to work either).

I will post pictures in a couple of hours when I'm back at home.

Thanks for your help
January 19, 2015 04:01AM
Zerker
please post pictures of your printer.
especially the cold end of our extruder, hotends are a common part that you should be able to replace with any of the popular ones, what will determin this is how the hotend attaches to the coldend.
if a Jhead or E3D or something simmilar can slide right in then thats the easist thing to fix.

for your electronics, you havent said what it is that you need to solder or why?
and something like a RAMPS is a nice replacement for electronics if a replacement is required.

Pics will get you a lot of help, and then we may ask for measurements, do you have a vernier calliper?

I don't have a calliper yet, tried to find one in mitre 10 but they said they don't have them. I'll definitely post pictures ASAP.

I need to solder the wires into the circuit board don't i? Or do they just fit in to the circuit board without needing to be soldered?

Thanks for your help.
January 19, 2015 05:06AM
gah, ECQ has caused a lot more damage than they have ever repared...

I still have to get my aircon repaired after they totaly #4%ed it..

Anyways, you should get yourself onto the christchurch robotics mailing list.

They do a lot more than just robots.. mostly electronics and related geeky things. Several are profesional electronics engineers. I'm sure you could find someone there to help with your soldering

List [lists.ourshack.com] temp website [www.idesignz.org]

You will also find at least two regular reprapers at their meetings etc.. (3rd monday every month)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 05:11AM by Dust.
January 19, 2015 04:26PM
I'm sure i saw digital calipers at the south city warehouse for about $30 in the hardware section.
If you want to stick with the Melzi,I have one that possibly has a faulty mosfet,but the usb is fine.
If you need it,you,re welcome to it.You may be able to get that fixed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 04:29PM by clogs51.
January 19, 2015 10:45PM
Wow thanks, I'm not sure a of how to fix a mosfet. I'll take my printer to that robotics club and get informed before I get any replacements. Really glad there is a bit of a community here in chch. I don't suppose anyone would be up for meeting and having a chat/look at my printer? I woud be super greatful. Thanks for the friendly and helpful responses!
January 20, 2015 12:23AM
There are also two maker spaces (ish) in chch

[www.meetup.com] and [www.meetup.com]

There is bound to be people there with electronics and even 3d printer experiance

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 12:35AM by Dust.
January 20, 2015 03:59AM
I have seen vicvega77's machine tonight and we tried unsuccessfully to revive the USB port.

Afterwards, I came across this forum post: Melzi micro USB port repair. I hadn't thought of connecting the usb cable wires directly but that might be worth a go. The board is buggered anyhow as it is and vicvega77 went away convinced that RAMPS 1.4 is probably the way to go if the Melzi can't be saved.

The hot end looks like a Huxley but the X carriage runs on rods configured horizontally rather than vertically. i.e. ".." rather than ":". Rod spacing is identical to Prusa Mendel I2 so it wouldn't take much to replace the carriage with something that would handle any of the mainstream extruder mounts.

My Prusa Mendel i2 inspired Repstrap with welded steel frame: [youtu.be]
And my Smartrap derived Briefcase 3D printer: [youtu.be]
January 20, 2015 05:37AM
Sadly when those surface mount usb's come off, most times they take the tracks with them, destroying the board.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login