Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fiberglass nichrome

Posted by Grogyan 
Fiberglass nichrome
May 17, 2010 05:03PM
My first experience with kapton tape for insulating the bare nichrome wire has left me looking for a different solution.

I'm looking for a supplier (other than MakerBot, and a little closer to home) that sells fiberglass coated nichrome wire or fiberglass sleeving with an internal diameter of about 0.5 or 0.6mm, does anyone know me a source here in NZ or in Aus?
Re: Fiberglass nichrome
June 19, 2010 07:25AM
Did you happen to get an answer for this?

David
June 19, 2010 05:13PM
Sadly, I did not.
So I had bought a couple of lengths plus a couple of other bits from MakerBot, however USPS has screwed up again, and somehow the package was last seen in the Netherlands on the 10th of June.

I still really need the nichrome, if anyone knows of another source of the fibreglass coated variety
June 20, 2010 05:11AM
I just found an Australian site that does sell the wire i'm after, though I don't know how reputable they are.
[toysdownunder.com]

MakerGear in the US seems to have a better range of bits, and am tempted by their heating core
[www.makergear.com]
Alas they too use USPS, i'd much prefer to use a proper international courier, like DHL or FedEx.

From Googling it appears that any reference to fiberglass and nichrome together always leads back to RepRap in most ways.

If anyone has had dealings before wth "Toys downunder" please let me know, as my project is stalled till I get the proper wire
June 20, 2010 05:24PM
Thanks for that, I will continue to have a look around

Cheers

David
June 27, 2010 07:44AM
I've just ordered way more than I need (5m) of the fiberglass coated nichrome wire.
I'll let you know when I get it and I'm sure we can come to an arrangement.

Cheers,
Bernie.
June 27, 2010 02:37PM
My package finally arrived about a week ago, finally, and I got more than enough to play with, 10 feet worth.

Still, its annoying to have to order something as simple as insulated nichrome wire from as far away as the US or China, when it should be already readily available in here in NZ.

Yeah, so if anybody wants a short length, i'll be at the Arduino group in a couple of weeks.
6Ohms worth is about 250mm.

I got to use it too, chopped down to 5 Ohms and now my heater barrel heats up well to ~275 and the PLA flows quite well, now just finishing off the extruder, I hope, so that it runs completely autonomously, only downside is the odour from the PLA of burnt sugar smiling smiley
June 27, 2010 03:12PM
That sounds excellent, and I am sure we can sort something out

Cheers

David
October 13, 2010 11:40PM
Does anyone have any spare fibreglass nichrome that I can purchase, beg etc. Finally finished moving house and getting sorted so I can get back to focusing on the printer

David
October 13, 2010 11:58PM
davmj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have any spare fibreglass nichrome
> that I can purchase, beg etc. Finally finished
> moving house and getting sorted so I can get back
> to focusing on the printer
>
> David

Sent you a PM
October 25, 2010 01:42AM
Ha! The smell of extruding PLA is 50 times better than the smell of extruding ABS!

Cheers,
Len.
November 30, 2010 03:52AM
Yes, a mate told me that it smells like caramel, I have to agree.

Much less toxic, sustainable, biodegradeable plastic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login