Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can anyone do a print or recommend a printing service

Posted by 41southrap 
Can anyone do a print or recommend a printing service
January 20, 2015 07:00PM
Hi all

I've been a member of this forum for a while (I did the Mendel90 build 2-3 years back then sold it [forums.reprap.org])

I'm wondering if anyone can do a smallish print for me or recommend someone?

[www.thingiverse.com]

[www.thingiverse.com]

[www.thingiverse.com]

Many thanks
Colin
Re: Can anyone do a print or recommend a printing service
January 22, 2015 05:36AM
Colin, you probably want those in ABS or PETG or nylon or one of the other newer filaments. I can do in PLA but you need better impact resistance than PLA has. I have Nylon but I haven't done much with it yet, needs a lot of care drying out.
January 22, 2015 05:14PM
Thanks for the info grael. I've got Mindkits to print it, they supply an on-line order service at a reasonable price and Tim the owner is a top guy thumbs up

Funnily enough the creator of the design recommends PLA where I would have thought that ABS would have been better too. I'll let you know how it goes!

Actually just thinking out loud I might get them to some spare arms in ABS - they are cheap enough cool smiley

edit: These were the print instructions, I'm a bit new but maybe he made up for the PLA with how it was printed

Recommended print settings:

Layer height: 0.2mm
Number of Perimeters: 2
Bottom Solid Layers: 3
Top Solid Layers: 3
Infill: 50% for the tail motor mount, 20% for everything else
I usually print in PLA for better inter-layer adhesion and more rigidity, but ABS should be fine as well.

Colin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 05:26PM by 41southrap.
January 24, 2015 04:06PM
The problem with PLA is that it shatters really easily. Also if you leave your multirotor in the car with windows sealed it will probably warp in the summer.

In the winter, the PLA will be even more rigid and fragile.
PLA will also be more sensitive to excessive heat on the motors, PLA softens at a much lower temperature than what motor wire insulation can handle.
January 24, 2015 09:12PM
Great info - thanks very much! smileys with beer
Printed Parts for Prusa-Mendel
January 28, 2015 09:28PM
Can anybody suggest where I could get printed parts for a Prusa-Mendel 3D printer.

This my first project and don't have much of an idea where to start.

Thanks
Re: Printed Parts for Prusa-Mendel
January 29, 2015 04:14PM
If you are looking to build a prusa mendel i3, I recently bought some printed/moulded ABS parts from www.replikeo.com. They arrived fairly on time (was over christmas so hard to gauge), and the quality is good. It cost $54 after postage and transfer fees etc. But if someone can offer to do it locally for less, it would be better.

The kit is for the single plate version (there is a good build manual on the reprap wiki ). If you would rather build the box-frame version (like I did), then you will need someone to print off a few extra parts to attach the bed to the y-axis and the y-axis to the box frame. I am going to do a write-up of my build shortly, will post the link when it is done.

A good write-up for the box-frame version is here:box-frame build log, enough at least to give you the general idea

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 04:15PM by tim_kberg.
January 29, 2015 06:18PM
I doubt you will find many locally who are keen to print and sell a full set of Prusa Mendel I3 plastic parts commercially. A full set of these parts weights about 500 grams. This means about $20 worth of filament (if you shop around). Add to that at least $5 postage within NZ and your supplier would have to be happy to tie up their 3D printer for a day or two and shag around with several print jobs for a gain of $20. If they have a couple of print failures (not uncommon with some of the cheaper filament), their profit shrinks. If you have an enthusiastic friend, or find someone who makes their own filament from pellets then it might be a goer but I think you would be better going offshore like Tim suggested. Have a look on ebay - there are usually dozens of sellers offering these parts.

My Prusa Mendel i2 inspired Repstrap with welded steel frame: [youtu.be]
And my Smartrap derived Briefcase 3D printer: [youtu.be]
January 29, 2015 08:09PM
Dang it the US dollar is dropping like a stone! Bad timing sad smiley

Probably still cheaper than most NZ suppliers though.
March 09, 2015 11:20PM
I would suggest to buy a kit for a prusa i3 from aliexpress (just search for it). Cannot beat those prices. And these kits do work very well - but they are I3, and they have some issues.. Couple of people here in Napier have bought them, and they print surprisingly well for their price!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login