Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wilson TS or i3

Posted by 41southrap 
Wilson TS or i3
January 23, 2015 07:14PM
Tossing up between the 2 builds of a Wilson TS or Prusa i3, I've previously built a Mendel90, so the i3 is certainly similar/familiar, but I like the beam construction of the Wilson.

Has anybody in NZ tackled a Wilson or know of any gotchas? Support seems pretty OK for both

Colin
Re: Wilson TS or i3
March 01, 2015 11:22AM
Bump
March 01, 2015 05:12PM
I've gone for the i3

Easy to get kits of parts and some local folks had a frame and extra stuff from a group project. smileys with beer
March 04, 2015 02:24PM
I've also been eyeing up the i3, looks nice!
March 04, 2015 04:27PM
I was already to go with the Replikeo I3, but then I saw the Wilson TS on ebay for 500 shipped, and it seemed to come complete with better quality parts and for the most part pre-wired ( no soldering). Now I'm kind of up in the air again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2015 04:29PM by Michaelj.
March 04, 2015 04:28PM
I was already to go with the Replikeo I3, but then I saw the Wilson TS on ebay for 500 shipped, and it seemed to come complete with better quality parts and for the most part pre-wired ( no soldering). Now I'm kind of up in the air again.
March 05, 2015 05:32PM
AliExpress has Prusa i3 kits from US$333 incl shipping.

But it may be cheaper to get parts separately rather than as a kit... you'll be paying GST on the kit price if its over NZ$400 I think, which is US$300 give or take a bit depending on your luck..

I'd guess that you can buy the aluminium extrusions for the Wilson TS in NZ from someone like Ullrich Aluminium, which would save on shipping costs.

So, if it was me, I'd go with the Wilson TS, just because it's a newer design. I'd buy the Al frame and maybe the power supply and nuts and bolts in NZ, and the hardware and plastic parts from AliExpress.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login