Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[WANTED] Mendel printed parts

Posted by scwimbush 
[WANTED] Mendel printed parts
May 08, 2011 01:28AM
Hi all. I'm looking to locally source a set of printed parts to build my own Mendel RepRap, if possible. If this turns up nothing, I will probably resort to purchasing a set outright from abroad, but would prefer a "pinkie-promise" arrangement whereby I will agree to supply two sets of parts locally if/when I get my Mendel up and running on the same terms as offered to me now. (And if I fail in my project, I will at least pass the original set on under the same terms.) I'm in Lower Hutt, if it makes a difference.

Cheers, Stuart.
Re: [WANTED] Mendel printed parts
May 08, 2011 03:20AM
Hi, I am in Auckland and also keen to get my hands on a set of Mendel printed parts.
I am happy to pay someone if they have some for sale.

Thanks
Gary
May 08, 2011 04:25AM
Here at Dunedin Makerspace we're running a 2:1 viral license for plastic - one machine has made a second that's almost - that leaves 3 more spaces in the current queue - 2 of which are already spoken for - so one space in the queue is still available - we're building Prusa Mendels out of PLA

The basic idea is that we'll GIVE you a set, we pay for the plastic - you have to promise that you'll make a best effort to build a machine and if/when it's working you'll make 2 sets of plastic (at your cost) under the same set of conditions for any people who ask.

So check out [reprap.org] - if you want to join first come first served drop me a line paul@taniwha.com
May 08, 2011 04:38AM
Hi Paul,

That sounds like a fantastic scheme -- exactly the sort of deal I'm looking for. Unfortunately I'm aiming to build a full Mendel (although maybe I should change my mind!). Of course, should any of your 'offspring' decide to print the parts for a full Mendel, I'd be interested. In any event, I hope your scheme (and your Mendels) survive and prosper, and thanks for letting us know about it.

[By the way, it's great to see these responses -- a clear indication that Mendels are alive and kicking in NZ!]

Cheers, Stuart.
May 08, 2011 06:34PM
well my set of 3 is now committed - once these guys are done building there will be 6 more sets of plastic available under the viral license ....

(for those who want to keep track here's how our little pyramid scheme works and why the numbers 3 and 6 show up):

* dspace mendel1
      * dspace mendel2
        * currently building1
          * nextgen1
          * nextgen2
        * currently building2
          * nextgen3
          * nextgen4
      * currently building3
        * nextgen5
        * nextgen6
May 08, 2011 06:44PM
Hi Stuart,

scwimbush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That sounds like a fantastic scheme -- exactly the
> sort of deal I'm looking for. Unfortunately I'm
> aiming to build a full Mendel (although maybe I
> should change my mind!). Of course, should any of
> your 'offspring' decide to print the parts for a
> full Mendel, I'd be interested. In any event, I
> hope your scheme (and your Mendels) survive and
> prosper, and thanks for letting us know about it.

I'm in Wellington (Johnsonville) and have a MakerBot CupCake I could print you a set of Mendel parts on. I haven't printed RepRap parts before but I'm looking to build my own Mendel at the end of the year. I've only recently got the CupCake up and running after a lot of hot-end issues but it's been printing very well lately after I rebuilt the hot-end and switched to PLA.

Before you decide whether you want to build a Prusa or Sells Mendel check out the difference in RP part quantity between the two models:

Sells Mendel RP parts (~1kg)

Prusa Mendel RP parts (~0.6kg)

Those photos are from Adrian Bowyer's shop.

Since I've never printed Mendel parts before I can't promise it will be successful first time. If you're keen then perhaps I could print a few parts and have you check them before I continue. PM me if you want to exchange contact details.

Cheers,

Matt
May 10, 2011 07:54PM
I've built both now - I don't think that the part quality has anything to do with Prusa vs. Trad. Mendel - I think it probably has more to do with how many hours you've spent tuning your printer (mine look more like the upper picture whether I'm printing a Trad or a Prusa) - at some point you have to stop printing cubes and start making stuff

The big difference though is the printing time (both in the amount of plastic that has to be laid down, and in the number of pieces) - and the number of other things you need to throw at it (mostly 4mm nuts/bolts/washers and bearings)

PS: look at the Prusa X idler (2nd from the right at the top) I'm just so amazed I can print that part at all

PPS: to be fair the Mendel parts in the pics above include an extruder while the Prusa ones don't

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 07:55PM by Taniwha.
May 14, 2011 08:03PM
Currently printing a set of purple mendel parts complete set should be ready by the end of this week. I will be looking for a buyer for them then.

Going to move on then and print a set of Prusa so that I can build one

May 30, 2011 06:26PM
Have finished a set of Prusa parts and nearly finished a Sells Mendle set as well both include extruder's the Prusa has a Wades the Sells has a Adrian's

Click here to login