Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Look at building a Prusa Mendel. Any help appreciated

Posted by ZL3DXT 
Look at building a Prusa Mendel. Any help appreciated
June 02, 2011 05:25PM
Hi,
Me and some friends (ithinkthatmaybe and some others) are looking at building a Prusa Mendel.
Is there anyone in NZ that could print parts for the Prusa and wades extruder for us.
Are there any parts that are hard to find in NZ. Dont want to get half way through building to find that we cant find a part.
For the electronics side of things we are looking at the RAMPS controller. Is this a wise choice?
Any other stuff we should know before we start getting parts in?

Thanks
Byron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 08:17PM by ZL3DXT.
Re: Look at building a Prusa Mendel. Any help appreciated
June 02, 2011 07:23PM
There are definitely people around who can print you the parts for a prusa - I've done a few myself. Tell us where you are and you can probably find someone local (who can possibly even help you out if you get stuck at some point).

[reprap.org] is a good resource for working out where to get parts from.

Cheers,
Len.
June 02, 2011 08:07PM
Im in Christchruch.
I've been looking at reprap.org. Just sifting through all the info.
June 02, 2011 08:09PM
We are in Christchurch, so Im hoping that should make it relatively easy to get hold of some parts. We have also been wondering about The stepper motors and drivers. As we are trying to do this on a relatively limited budget, spending 30 dollars per stepper motor driver would not be ideal.

cheers
Sam
June 03, 2011 12:32AM
Also what are the specs on the motors? will any nema 17 motor work for the axis and the extruder?

Byron
June 03, 2011 08:45PM
PM me if you want a set of plastics I have a set of Black available now in Nelson that I could post out

June 03, 2011 10:22PM
Just out of interest.
There are a few components that ive been having a bit of trouble finding suppliers in NZ, such as the 608 bearings and belts
any wisdom on this matter would be appreciated.
June 05, 2011 02:04AM
nzminiaturebearings.com provided me with the bearings at a fantastic price and with great service. They are also listed on the NZ suppliers page here [reprap.org] (just noticed that these links are abbreviated -- click through to see the full link; the same probably applies to the one earlier in the thread) if you haven't spotted that page. My build isn't finished yet, but I can't see the bearings being a problem. The belts I'm having to import, but perhaps someone else will be able to help out there.

I got some reasonably cheap motors in from Australia, but without having been able to test them yet, I wouldn't want to recommend them at this stage. I learned after buying mine that apparently the extruder needs a stronger motor than the rest, so I'm eagerly waiting to see whether mine will work or if I'll need to buy another.

I opted for the Sanguinololu electronics, although I also found it hard to identify criteria for making an informed choice.

Very happy to share stories and tips as you progress.
June 07, 2011 05:07PM
Also Wilsons bearings can get the bearings and belts as well as [www.smallparts.com.au] these people in Oz. The Nema17 stepper motors can be found on deal extreme reasonably priced but I think from memory you would need to order 10 to get them for around $15 each

June 24, 2011 05:11AM
Thanks for all the help so far.
We have got a blog going and we will keep it updated with our progress.

Here is a Link to the blog

Cheers
Byron
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login