Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mondo in NZ

Posted by sswcharlie 
Mondo in NZ
June 30, 2011 08:19PM
Hi

Anyone using a RepRap Mondo or the Prusa in New Zealand ?

Thanks

Charlie Harris
Ashhurst
Re: Mondo in NZ
July 01, 2011 02:27AM
No I have an original Mendel and would build a Prusa if I had the money, I have made the plastics but can't afford the rest

July 01, 2011 07:00PM
Hi

Thanks for your response.

Do you know if it is possible with the correct engineering etc (custom say by ourselves) we can make any of the machines increase in height ?

The machines are approx 12 x 12 at the moment with a height similiar. We would like to be able to do a height say 28" , sounds a lot, but would work for what we are doing.

For a prototype that is long and thin. What size filament do you normally work with on the Mendel ? We are not looking for finish so much as the shape and using a thicker filament would be great and faster.

Thanks

Charlie Harris
July 01, 2011 11:47PM
I use 3mm PLA.

I have thought about increasing the size of the printer, it's certainly possible with the Mendel as all you would do is make the metal rods longer and make a bigger bed, the downside is flex in the machine especially in the X axis, also finding long enough belts would be a real problem unless you came up with an alternative.

The Arduino motherboards would also need the firmware hacked to recognise the bigger build platform.

To get around the flex in the X axis you would need to think about using thicker metal rods which in turn would mean a redesign of the X carriage to suit.

By all means not impossible but is a bit of extra work

July 02, 2011 01:04AM
Hi
I have a Mendel with Gen 2 Electronics and have changed the software bed size several time in the XML machine file from 150mm to 200mm. I am sure you will be able to change the settings like this up to any size and it will update into Replicator G. I have a 0.8mm Nozzle I sometimes run and have seen a machine with a 1mm Nozzle on it though you will then need to change alot of settings in Skeinforge to get a good print.

regards Andrew
July 04, 2011 07:34PM
Thanks guys for your input. I am a noobie on this. Another question -

Say I increase either the width of the table or increase the height of the head a lot higher. Which is better to have for an enclosed hollow section, say 20-28" long x 12 x 12, - printing horizontal for 20" or printing vertically for 20" ?

Required for development work re the shape of the item. Finish not too critical. So would probably use 3mm filament for speed and later use a finer filament for a more quality finish. Machining of new posts etc and carriers not too much of a problem for our workshop.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Charlie Harris
March 18, 2012 04:08AM
Hi,

See [reprap.org]

It is certainly possible to achieve.
December 14, 2012 10:54PM
hi! i could use help with my mondo!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login