Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Removing heated bed and and temperature sensors

Posted by SWinters 
Removing heated bed and and temperature sensors
February 09, 2016 11:24AM
Hello,
I'm looking to create a bioprinter that will not be using a heater bed or any temperature sensors. Is it possible to easily remove the thermistor and heater from code without breaking it? Also, if anyone knows of a different firmware available similar to Marlin, supporting SD and LCD, that will work please let me know.
Thank you.
Re: Removing heated bed and and temperature sensors
February 09, 2016 06:04PM
Marlin should be fairly easy to modify for this. It is similar to the modifications needed for a clay extruder. See this video, for example: [www.youtube.com]

|
| Lead Developer of Marlin Firmware
| Help support my work at Patreon and Elsewhere.
|
February 14, 2016 09:27AM
I would not remove the heater code. I would just relax it so it doesn't do anything.
February 18, 2016 07:44PM
Roxy
I would not remove the heater code. I would just relax it so it doesn't do anything.

Setting TEMP_SENSOR_BED to 0 disables the heated bed. I believe Marlin will complain if you set all TEMP_SENSOR_n settings to 0. It wants at least 1. Roxy, I wonder if it's worth modifying Marlin to allow zero temperature sensors, since I see more users all the time who would like to do paste extrusion or ceramics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 07:44PM by Thinkyhead.

|
| Lead Developer of Marlin Firmware
| Help support my work at Patreon and Elsewhere.
|
February 19, 2016 02:19PM
Thinkyhead
Roxy

Setting TEMP_SENSOR_BED to 0 disables the heated bed. I believe Marlin will complain if you set all TEMP_SENSOR_n settings to 0. It wants at least 1. Roxy, I wonder if it's worth modifying Marlin to allow zero temperature sensors, since I see more users all the time who would like to do paste extrusion or ceramics.

Yeah... Forcing there to be at least one seems like an arbitrary restriction. There are going to be some machines that really don't need any.
February 25, 2016 10:04AM
Using the fake thermistor type 999 at least avoids max and min errors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login