Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis height after homing

Posted by Pizzman76 
Z axis height after homing
March 03, 2016 12:24PM
Hello everyone,
I currently am using a buildtack material on the surface of my build plate, which has worked wonderfully for printing except for one issue. After the homing process my Z axis is sitting at the programmed "0" position which has started to melt the buildtack material.

If I add 5mm to Z_MIN in the "Travel limits after homing" area, will my axis raise 5mm until the extruder reaches target temp, then lower back to "0" when printing starts? I just want to raise it far enough off the surface so as not to burn my tack.

// Travel limits after homing (units are in mm)
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MIN_POS 0
#define X_MAX_POS 205
#define Y_MAX_POS 205
#define Z_MAX_POS 205
Re: Z axis height after homing
March 03, 2016 12:40PM
I would add a G1 F300 Z5 right after the home in you pre-print code in your slicer (or manually add it to the generated code). This will move the z axis up 5mm then when the temp is reached and printing starts it will move to the start position and begin the print.

I do this with the z offset, after the z home I set the Z height to the correct distance. I find it easier to do this in the g-code than in the firmware, so if I need to tweak it and can do it on the fly in the code instead of flashing the firmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 12:42PM by randyf1965.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login