Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Protect public-access printer from use except by assigned computer

Posted by paulr 
Protect public-access printer from use except by assigned computer
February 22, 2018 07:52AM
I'm installing a public-access 3D printer, and would like to ensure it's only used via a single computer. Otherwise, mischievous users could connect their own laptops and make the printer do things it's not meant to do.

Perhaps the simplest implementation of this would be to add a 'PIN' function, where the printer has to be passed a specific G-code before unlocking and processing more instructions.

Before I spend much time thinking about how to implement this, does anything like it already exist?
Re: Protect public-access printer from use except by assigned computer
February 22, 2018 07:25PM
If you setup an Rpi with octoprint, password protect this implementation as your print server, plug your printer via USB to this print server then only those that know the octoprint password will be able to access it.

Then on your selected one computer on that subnet, open the browser of your choice to the IP address of the Rpi and give it the OctoPrint password but tell it to remember the password....

That should do it, your single station will automatically know the password to access the octoprint web page and no others....

I believe that will work well.

unless your worried about people accessing it physically like plugging in the usb to their laptop.....
Sorry I assumed you meant network accessible...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2018 07:29PM by JustSumGuy.
February 26, 2018 10:11AM
JustSumGuy
unless your worried about people accessing it physically like plugging in the usb to their laptop.....

Yes that is what I meant I'm afraid. Thanks all the same.
February 26, 2018 02:55PM
Use the above but epoxy the USB cable from controller to RPI in place so it cant be removed.

Also put it in a clear box so they can see its epoxied in.
February 28, 2018 12:18AM
I think you should make sure you are running a current version of the Marlin firmware... And tell anybody that wants to print to print something... We need help testing things....

Don't lock it down... Tell people to submit test results for everybody to look at and review...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login