Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Help Configuring EndStops

Posted by 3DNublet 
Need Help Configuring EndStops
March 05, 2018 01:06AM
OK, here is the situation ... I'm using a former Ender-4 frame (board fried) and installing a Einsy Rambo 1.1 board from UltiMachines. My Marlin firmware is 1.1.5 and Arduino IDE is 1.8.5. I am using the pre-configured Marlin firmware by UltiMachines found here. The issue I am having is with the end stops, I have mechanical NC switches(tested with multimeter to make sure they are working). I am using Pronterface to check the endstops with the M19 command. It shows all the switches as Open, but when I test the endstops with one closed, the return does not change, they all still show as open. I'm not sure what I am missing in marlin.

Here are clips of the code from my Config_h file:

//===========================================================================
//============================= Mechanical Settings =========================

// @section machine

// Uncomment one of these options to enable CoreXY, CoreXZ, or CoreYZ kinematics
// either in the usual order or reversed
#define COREXY
//#define COREXZ
//#define COREYZ
//#define COREYX
//#define COREZX
//#define COREZY

//============================== Endstop Settings ===========================

// @section homing

// Specify here all the endstop connectors that are connected to any endstop or probe.
// Almost all printers will be using one per axis. Probes will use one or more of the
// extra connectors. Leave undefined any used for non-endstop and non-probe purposes.
#define USE_XMIN_PLUG
#define USE_YMIN_PLUG
#define USE_ZMIN_PLUG
//#define USE_XMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_YMAX_PLUG
//#define USE_ZMAX_PLUG

// coarse Endstop Settings
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#if DISABLED(ENDSTOPPULLUPS)
// fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN_PROBE
#endif

// Mechanical endstop with COM to ground and NC to Signal uses "false" here (most common setup).
#define X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true to invert the logic of the probe.

// Enable this feature if all enabled endstop pins are interrupt-capable.
// This will remove the need to poll the interrupt pins, saving many CPU cycles.
//#define ENDSTOP_INTERRUPTS_FEATURE

// @section homing

//#define Z_HOMING_HEIGHT 4 // (in mm) Minimal z height before homing (G28) for Z clearance above the bed, clamps, ...
// Be sure you have this distance over your Z_MAX_POS in case.

// Direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
// :[-1,1]
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

// @section machine

// The size of the print bed
#define X_BED_SIZE 220
#define Y_BED_SIZE 220

// Travel limits (mm) after homing, corresponding to endstop positions.
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MIN_POS 0
#define X_MAX_POS X_BED_SIZE
#define Y_MAX_POS Y_BED_SIZE
#define Z_MAX_POS 310

// If enabled, axes won't move below MIN_POS in response to movement commands.
#define MIN_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOPS
// If enabled, axes won't move above MAX_POS in response to movement commands.
#define MAX_SOFTWARE_ENDSTOPS

and from the ConfigAdv_h

// @section homing

// If you want endstops to stay on (by default) even when not homing
// enable this option. Override at any time with M120, M121.
#define ENDSTOPS_ALWAYS_ON_DEFAULT

Any clue as to what I am missing?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
Re: Need Help Configuring EndStops
March 05, 2018 03:20AM
I was looking into this and I see in pins_EINSYRAMBO.h

//
// Limit Switches
//
#define X_MIN_PIN          64 //12
#define X_MAX_PIN          -1
#define Y_MIN_PIN          69 //11
#define Y_MAX_PIN          -1
#define Z_MIN_PIN          68 //10
#define Z_MAX_PIN          -1

So to me it looks like If your using the endstops plugs you should be using 10,11 and 12
But if your using the Trinamic smarts to be endstop free, you use 68,69,64

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2018 03:21AM by Dust.
March 05, 2018 11:40AM
The Ender-Stein has senses now!!!!

Thanks Dust for spotting that for me, it fixed it perfectly.

I'm not sure how to take advantage of the Trinamic smarts, but that it something I can look into later, lol.
March 05, 2018 12:25PM
OK, I spoke a little to soon, lol. The X & Z end stops are working, but the Y end stop isn't, and its to do with the board. Continuity checked fine, but I can switch the plugs on X and Y end stops and the same error occurs, I'm wondering if they Y pin is incorrect on the pins_einsyrambo.h? I triple checked to make sure I didn't type in the wrong pin for all of them and I did it correctly.
March 05, 2018 05:06PM
the circuit diagram also says Y Min endstop is pin 11... [github.com]
March 05, 2018 07:11PM
That is what I have it set to, but its not working.
March 05, 2018 08:21PM
OK, so I opened up the original Marlin/Einsy firmware configuration by Ultimachine. Went through it and made all the same changes and uploaded it to the board again. Now everything seems to be working. 'Shakes Head' hot smiley

Thanks again for the help Dust
March 09, 2018 05:46AM
I was having the same issue and now the endstops are triggering thanks to the Dust also.

The next problem I am having is that even though they are triggering as shown by M119, they do not stop the movement of any of the axes. Any ideas? I have the same config as previously shown above including configuration-adv.h
March 09, 2018 05:47AM
Just to add, if I home an axis (through Pronterface) the z-axis rises the correct amount but no other axis then moves.
March 09, 2018 05:53PM
If it doesnt stop, you have you axis setup badly or enstops configured for the wrong ends of movement

ie If it thinks its moving right and its actually moving left It will only check the right endstop.

So what type of machine is it, and where are your endstop. (I3 clone, core xy, delta?)
March 13, 2018 06:04PM
It’s a Prusa i3 type that I built a few years ago. I’ve put it back together with the ramps so that I can make some parts for a tslot version that I am building now. Once I get back into the Einsy board if the issue persists i’ll post again.
March 14, 2018 12:14AM
Can you use the Trinamic smarts as endstops on Core XY machines? I was trying to set them up, but it occured to me that moving either X or Y (or both) means that both the X & Y stepper motors are used. So since both X & Y steppers are always being used to move both X & Y axis how would the steppers feedback be read?
March 14, 2018 07:38AM
I suspect It could be made to work on coreXY as long as each axis is homed individually. both X and Y steppers would stall at the same time and both would trigger. But the firmware knows it was homing X, so can work it out that x endstop must have been hit.
As long as the Y errors(endstops) is cleared then it can home y

Does this actually work with current firmware? unknown to me....
March 15, 2018 11:19AM
Yeah, guess I'll be sticking with mechanical end stops for now, lol. Going to make adding the BLTouch interesting though. Those that I've read about attaching it to the Einsy used the Y end stop plug freed up because of the Trinamic's ability to be used to home the axis. Mine isn't free, lol.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login