Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Momentary Grinding Noise

Posted by lamina 
Momentary Grinding Noise
April 09, 2018 03:48AM
Hi, I have a heavily modified machine which is controlled with an Ultimachine Rambo board using the latest Simplyfi3D software on a Windows 10 machine.

I was using Marlin 1.0.0 for years with no problem but decided it was about time to install a proximity detector and bed levelling.
I upgraded to Marlin 1.0.2 and all went very well apart from a momentary grinding noise on the first movement ONLY of the Y and Z motors regardless of where the carriage is located - other than that - no problem.
So, I decided to upgrade to Marlin 1.1.6 - transferred all the settings and everything is working well BUT the grinding noise - which lasts at most 1/4 second - is now on the X and Z motors.

If I downgrade to Marlin 1.0.0 no grinding.
If I disable bed levelling in Marlin 1.0.2 or 1.1.6 - the noise persists

This is more of a nuisance than a problem - but I cannot locate any setting on Marlin 1.0.0, or 1.0.2 or 1.1.6 which would give me the results I get.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Richard
Re: Momentary Grinding Noise
April 09, 2018 04:22PM
Check your acceleration and jerk settings, these are most likely where the issue is.

Make sure you M502 before tests, if your eeprom is storing values and you adjust your firmware settings the eeprom settings can keep getting pulled in over your changes.

M502 - read firmware settings and set to SRAM. Called 'Factory RESET' but in reality its pulling the settings you set (or failed to change) in the arduino sketch and then flash into the controller.
M500 - save current settings from SRAM to eeprom
M501 - Load all saved settings from EEPROM.
M503 - Print a concise report of all current settings (in SRAM) to the host console.

In case you have some good calibration settings in EEPROM do an M501 and then print them with M503 then save that output to a txt file or printout just in case. Save you some re-calibration time if that's all straight already.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 04:33PM by JustSumGuy.
Re: Momentary Grinding Noise
April 10, 2018 09:51AM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply - it was indeed the jerk settings - for some unknown reason - I blame the cat - they were set to very high values :-(

Thanks again
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login