Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting hotend temperature above 260

Posted by stib 
Getting hotend temperature above 260
April 14, 2018 09:20AM
In the control menu I can set the hotend temperature up to 260º. I'd like to be able to dial it up a bit hotter, say 265.

Looking through configuration.h I can't see where the limit is set. There's a HEATER_0_MAXTEMP setting, but it's set to 275. Searching for 260 in the source doesn't yield anything, so I'm just wondering where this limit is coming from
Re: Getting hotend temperature above 260
April 14, 2018 03:57PM
Per the code it seems like the menu only allows you to set the temperature to HEATER_0_MAXTEMP minus 15 degrees:

MENU_MULTIPLIER_ITEM_EDIT_CALLBACK(int3, MSG_NOZZLE, &thermalManager.target_temperature[0], 0, HEATER_0_MAXTEMP - 15, watch_temp_callback_E0);

So you're on the right track - upping HEATER_0_MAXTEMP will get you what you want, just with a 15 degree offset.
April 15, 2018 12:49AM
Which would be better, changing the HEATER_0_MAXTEMP or the 15º offset? I'm leaning towards the latter, though I have no idea how the 275º maximum temperature is arrived at, or for that matter what the maximum temperature my heater element can deal with is (it's the OEM one that came with my Wanhao i3+).
April 15, 2018 06:55AM
If you go beyond 260ºC you must make sure that you don't have any PTFE (Teflon) liners in your hotend. 260ºC is the max. temperature for PTFE - if it gets too hot, it starts melting and can produce toxic gases.
April 15, 2018 10:11AM
Thanks for the warning, I've put on an all-metal hotend because I want to try some nylon and pet-g.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login