Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Move an axis to a position when print is done?

Posted by beazleybub 
Move an axis to a position when print is done?
August 13, 2018 02:35PM
Hi, I'd like one of my axes to go to it's home switch when a print is done. Is there already a function for this? I know it can be done using gcode but I really hope it is something that can be automated firmware side.
Where would I look? Thanks!
Re: Move an axis to a position when print is done?
August 13, 2018 02:49PM
For what it is worth, I don't think this is possible.

Reason being, the Marlin FW silently waits for a command (from a file/SD card/program) to execute. As far as I can tell there is no way for the FW to know that a print is finished, apart from the buffer going empty - but this is by no means a sure indication that the print is finished.

I am not sure how calling G28 X (as example to home your X axis) when the print is finished, is not a solution. Every slicer I know of has the feature, where the user can add gcode which will be executed once the print is finished.
I know you mention this, but I just reiterate for some silly reason grinning smiley

Perhaps someone will correct me, but I am 99% sure that the firmware, as it is currently written, can not do this (unless a great deal if changes are made to it).
August 13, 2018 03:08PM
I use the slicer to send a G-code. In your slicer select the END/G-Code

Add a line to send the Axis to the position you desire, I wanted to send my model to the front for easy removal

End/G-Code

G91 ;relative mode
G1 Z+0.5 E-2 F{travel_speed} ;raise Z above print
G90 ;absolute mode
G1 X0 Y270 ;move Model to front.
M84 ;steppers off
G90 ;absolute positioning

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
August 13, 2018 05:27PM
I'd think when Cura or Repetier sends a m104 and an M84 at the end of a print cycle it could be possible to execute a command within the firmware to send the printer bed to a forward position. The reason I believe this is because I purchased one of those cheap cube style Chinese 3d printers called an Instone Easier Mini (also known as an Aladdin Skycube) and before I created my own version of Marlin to replace the firmware that was loaded onto the board from the manufacturer it actually did raise the Z axis slightly and then move the Y axis forward until it hit the endstop. I was told the original firmware on this printer was an older version of Repetier. Isn't Repetier based off of the original Marlin firmware? I hope someone can chime in on this because I really do think it's possible.

In the meantime I will just have to use gcode to do so.

Thanks smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 07:58PM by beazleybub.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login