Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Help] Print stops mid-print (Marlin, dual extruder)

Posted by uorbe001 
[Help] Print stops mid-print (Marlin, dual extruder)
August 13, 2019 03:02PM
Hi,

I'm experiencing a very weird issue I'm unable to debug. I have a relatively small print I'm trying to print to test if the alignment of the nozzles on my dual extruder is correct, and whenever I try to print it (from the sd card reader), the printer just restarts itself without any visible errors. I sliced it with Slic3r PE, and then I tried to slice it with Prusa Slicer, both versions do the same even though the gcode is definitely not the same. The print always seems to stop around the same layer (layer 15 or so, but I don't know what exact layer it is).

I also tried printing while plugged in to the computer, as I thought the logs might spit out something helpful, but it didn't show any errors before stopping the print. Instead of just restarting the machine, this caused the temperature to drop ridiculously while the computer kept trying to send gcode commands to the printer though.

I thought this might be an issue with Marlin (was running 1.1.9) but I updated to the latest bugfix-2.0 branch and it's still happening, so that doesn't seem to be it.

Any clues how I might be able to debug this?

Here is the gcode, in case anyone can spot anything weird that I can't (it won't let me attach it): [www.dropbox.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2019 05:02AM by uorbe001.
Re: [Help] Print stops mid-print (Marlin)
August 14, 2019 05:01AM
I just tried slicing the same thing with Cura, and I get the same, it stops the print with no errors after a few layers. I then tried to print it using a single extruder and it prints just fine, so the issue seems to be related to the dual extruder, I just haven't got a clue what it is.

Also tried printing this cube with a nozzle for each part, and got the same issue, so it definitely feels like a dual extrusion issue. Editing the title of this thread to reflect it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? A bit stuck atm, and I've had the dual extruder working with no issues for some time...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2019 05:04AM by uorbe001.
Re: [Help] Print stops mid-print (Marlin)
August 14, 2019 01:23PM
Okay I found the problem. It has nothing to do with Marlin or the dual extruder, though I'm still quite confused as to why it didn't show anything on the logs about it before stopping the print. It turns out one of my TMC drivers (Z axis) had one of the cables slightly disconnected (it looked connected, but it kinda wasn't), so vibrations seemed to be breaking the connection and making Marlin shut down the whole thing. Also not sure why it only happened with the second extruder, vibrations are weird like that I guess.

I only noticed because immediately after another shut down I got a TMC connection error on the lcd display and it stuck long enough to let me to get the error log on the computer.

Welp, this is slightly embarrassing. Check your cables kids!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login