Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extended Y travel for extra extruders. Help needed!

Posted by LarryStein 
Extended Y travel for extra extruders. Help needed!
July 11, 2019 08:05AM
I was perhaps premature in extending my Y axis bearing surfaces before checking if the firmware is able to work with 340mm of Y axis travel distance.
As is, it cannot. I want the extra travel to allow multiple hotends stacked in the Y axis but still have maximum print area.
Any ideas of what I can change to get it working with a 200mm X 200mm bed, but with 340mm of travel? An E0 offset of 140mm is needed and a total travel of 340mm on the Y axis.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Larry
VDX
Re: Extended Y travel for extra extruders. Help needed!
July 11, 2019 03:57PM
... you have to change the max moving range for the specific axes in the firmware and in the software - I'm driving ultrasonic cleaning machines with Marlin4Due and Marlin2.0 firmwares, where the X-axis has up to 3 meters travelling range and the Z-axis "only" 400mm cool smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 11, 2019 04:49PM
That sounds like what i need, but where is the setting? I've gone through configuration.h and adv.h and cannot find it.
Thanks
Larry
VDX
July 11, 2019 05:06PM
... for Marlin2.0 and a "smaller" unit with only 2m max traveling range in X (it has no Y axis) it's in "Configuration.h" from line 1010 on:

// Travel limits (mm) after homing, corresponding to endstop positions.
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MIN_POS 0
#define X_MAX_POS 2000 //X_BED_SIZE
#define Y_MAX_POS 200 //Y_BED_SIZE
#define Z_MAX_POS 400

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

August 21, 2019 08:30AM
Sorry for the delay in replying. I have a life that takes up, perhaps, too much of my time. I'm not the type that likes to risk using beta wear so I'm stuck with 1.9.x for the time being.
Thanks for pointing out where the setting is.
Now I just need some advise on how to tell Cura that both heads CAN reach ALL parts of the build plate. What am I, or cura, not doing right? I have 60mm between nozzles in the Y axis and 7mm in the X axis. But Cura will not give me any build area at all! Thanks again. Larry
VDX
August 21, 2019 09:21AM
... I'm using Pronterface - there I have to define the axes sizes (or travelling ranges) too in the "Settings->Options->Printer Settings" menue ...

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login