Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Move from 8 bit to 32 bit Marlin leaves LCD panel sluggish

Posted by mlefevre 
Move from 8 bit to 32 bit Marlin leaves LCD panel sluggish
August 28, 2019 11:47AM
I moved one of my printers from an 8-bit Melzi-style controller to an SKR v1.3 (LPC1768) 32-bit controller. Once I got it running, I expected the 12864 with rotary encoder LCD panel interface to be largely the same as before. What I found was that the controller seems to miss rotary encoder pulses and button presses fairly frequently. Also, the display updates lag behind the rotary encoder knob actions and it's very common to rotate the knob to the desired menu item and click the knob button only to find that another menu motion (up/down) was still queued but not displayed so you wind up in the wrong menu.
My questions are:

1) Can any of this display interface be interrupt-driven if I select the right GPIOs? Does it make sense to do that?

2) If the interface is largely polled, are there any variables I can tweak to make it better?

3) I was happy with the 8-bit/Marlin 1.1.9 experience. Has much of that code changed for 2.0?

On a similar note, I have noticed that the boot time for 2.0 on the LPC1768 is twice as long as the boot time on the 1.1.9/Melzi combination. Is it possible that bugfix Marlin 2.0 still has a bunch of debugging overhead in the code that will be disabled for releases?

Marc
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login