Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin "bureaucracy"

Posted by Dust 
Marlin "bureaucracy"
November 04, 2019 09:36PM
<Rant>
So instead of providing one off patches here I decided it was time to actually update marlin on github..

What a nightmare!

Firstly although I can code, and use git, I am not a professional programmer, I don't do this stuff daily.

My first attempt I just created an "issue" with a solution. It was only a three line change.
So after writing a book about it... The bug report was created,
The immediate response was "submit a PR" (PR being pull request)

For a 3 line change, that is expecting a bit much for someone that doesn't do this daily. But eventually someone else did do this.

My second attempt. I created a PR.
The immediate response was "submit a issue"

Can you see the circular logic going on here?

I checked to documentation [marlinfw.org] its clearly says "If you have an open issue associated with your Pull Request" not that you require a issue

Apparently what they really want is an Issue and a PR each referencing the other... despite what the the documentation may say.

And one last insult, I wanted to also update 1.1.x and generated the PR, only to be told that I must use bugfix-1.1.x and was pointed back to the above manual

The manual does not mention 1.1.x or bugfix-1.1.x, it only mentions bugfix-2.0

So 3rd attempt is currently underway with a 3rd PR request, this time to bugfix-1.1.x

I can see why Marlin development is so slow, no one in their right mind would tolerate this bureaucracy! So they wont be attracting many new developers.
</Rant>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2019 09:40PM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login