Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin travel speed issue, movements are too fast

Posted by marvin42blue 
Marlin travel speed issue, movements are too fast
December 25, 2019 01:09PM
Printer: Delta / Kossel mini (Atmel 2560, Ramps 1.4)

After upgrading from Marlin 1.1.0-RC6 to current 1.1.9 (with bugfix) my printer moves with wrong speed. For testing I use a cylinder (d=30mm) with spiral vase. The G-code was created using Slic3r and I checked it manually. The walls eg. should be printed with F180 (approx 3 mm / sec) - which works fine with the old 1.1.0 - the same G-code on 1.1.9 runs approx 13.5 mm / sec (which would be F810), which is approx 4-5 times faster.

In addition, all the print movements are not smooth, but rather "stuttering", which creates poor outer surfaces. Its like the acceleration/deceleration is not handled properly. I also thought the block buffer is not properly filled using OctoPrint, but the behaviour is the same when printing from SD-card. Then I took a stop-watch and noticed that the print speed is wrong.
The dimensions of the printed parts are accurate.
I can easily downgrade to 1.1.0 and the printer runs nice, go then to 1.1.9 and its bad again

I havent check the "home" and other movements using stopwatch, but they appear to be not much different between 1.1.0 and 1.1.9

Is there maybe any "motion improvement" between 1.1.0 and 1.1.9 which might cause this ?
I'm using the example/config files for a Kossel mini and did only modify some heat settings and adopt the geometry of my printer - nothing that would affect speed planning.
I was trying to check both sources, but there are so many changes that I was so far not able to see what might cause the problem.
thanks in advance
Re: Marlin travel speed issue, movements are too fast
December 26, 2019 02:36AM
Can it be that in the older version of the firmware the speeds were in mm/min and in the newer version the speeds are in mm/sec?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Re: Marlin travel speed issue, movements are too fast
December 26, 2019 12:00PM
Hi Ohmarinus,

the G-code spec clearly says that all velocities are in [mm/min] - please note that this would be a difference of factor x60, but I see only a factor of x4-x5 and this would not explain the stuttering.

I managed to compile the latest 2.0.1 FW today and with this my printer just runs nicely.

I noticed that I still used an Arduino IDE 1.6.9 to compile the sources, so I upgraded yesterday to a 1.8.10 in order to compile the 2.0.1 firmware - I wonder if there is any relation between Arduino IDE and marlin FW - since I can't find any recommendation which Arduino IDE to be used with different marlin FW.
Since I'm not able to compile Marlin 1.1.9 with Arduino 1.8.10 (it complains about "#include" in configuration.h or configuration_adv.h, but there aren't any) I can't test this combination.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login