Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First build - Z axis clicks and shuts off

Posted by Reefsider 
First build - Z axis clicks and shuts off
December 22, 2020 11:20PM
Hi, I have managed to compile and mount my first build of marlin bugfix 2.0.x on my MPSM with an SKR Mini E3 DIP V1.0 and TFT24 touch screen. I am using DVR8825 drivers and have set the feed for 1/32 micro-stepping. I have also set the V-ref to my motors. I'm powering this all with the 12V 10A brick that came with the MPSM.

Everything works now except the Z stepper and the fans. When I try to move Z it just makes a rather loud clicking noise then stops and wont let me try again until I power cycle the printer. I can easily move the screw by hand so there is no binding or unusual resistance.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the Z stepper. It is a 42BYGH39-1684A stepper with T-8 lead screw. the screw has 4 starts so I'm guessing its 8mm lead per rotation. According to the calculator that gives me a step rate of 800. Max_Defult_acceleration is set to 100.

Also the fan would be nice but that's probably something I can mess with and figure out.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2020 11:32PM by Reefsider.
Re: First build - Z axis clicks and shuts off
December 23, 2020 01:12AM
your z stepper are probably wired different to the other axis.

unplug the stepper from the motherboard, and check for continuity from pins 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 of the stepper cable.
December 23, 2020 03:34PM
Hi, thank you for your reply. The wiring was a complete set for the Ender3 I found on Amazon. Its actually a nice little kit because all the axis have labels and its mostly ribbon wire so its easy to manage.

I tested the continuity in the wire and all is good there.

When you lay the cable flat, the wires on the outside are directly to the outside of the stepper plug and the center wires on the stepper plug are crossed. It looks to be the same way for the other stepper wires as well.

Would it be possible that his stepper is wired differently from the others?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2020 03:40PM by Reefsider.
December 23, 2020 03:52PM
Here is a link to the stepper motor information

[uamper.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login